Dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi all. I have noticed every time I do my weekly inspection the are always a few dead bee at the bottom of the brood box. Are these the bees from last year or have I got problems? :willy_nilly:

Did you clean off your floor after winter? If not then they are from then most likely.

A few corpses lying around is not much to worry about, though it does denote the strain is not very hygienic.

PH

Yes I have cleaned the floor after the winter that’s why I was concerned about this.

what do you call a few 3 or 5 a week or 25 a day.
if you find sat less than 5 in a week thats just normal death duties but your bees should clear them out very quickly and not just leaving them there, any where between say 10 to 20 a week i would start to look at other problems, ie are they in the same spot so has something tried to gain access and they have died durring the fight ect or are they spread out, try spreading a white sheet below the hive entrance to see if you are getting spray damage bees flying in but not making it, at this time of year a lot ot insecticide gets used on allotments and fields, more than 20 in a week i would look towards a brood problem, is there an old boy or lady that can give your hive the once over for you

It's just a few a week nothing major, what concerns me now is why the bees aren't clearing them out as much as they should?

Latest posts

Back