dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks JBM....the nuc i think i will just leave....or as its a double story nuc may mean i could put it into a single bb
I would leave it as is - overcrowding is another catalyst for the virus, so it's better they have too much space than 'just enough'

moved them onto a super on stand with no floor...no entrance except underneath and the mass of bees (look strong) they will find their way underneath

contemplating taking the nuc base away from the nuc and leave an open extension box as the base

yup....just need to find a stand to raise it from ground
Oh, and just check that you still have the queen in the remaining colony. She was probably the first to die when I had a similar problem earlier this year. Hard luck I feel sorry for you.

That’s why there is the suggestion to raise them up quite a bit
It's also essential in that the bees, if the bottom of the hive is too near the ground, might take the ground to be their new 'floor' and still continue to clear the corpses from it, by elevating the hive on to a 'proper' (say 18") stand they just take the ground to be 'outside' and so are happy to leave the dead there

It's also essential in that the bees, if the bottom of the hive is too near the ground, might take the ground to be their new 'floor' and still continue to clear the corpses from it, by elevating the hive on to a 'proper' (say 18") stand they just take the ground to be 'outside' and so are happy to leave the dead there
Would it work to put the BB on top of two spare BBs directly on the ground and put an eke with entrance cut out directly under actual BB?

The ground would be 18" away but the entrance would be where they'd expect it and no separate access for wasps.

If you have got a modular nuc, do it, but as ever, be mindful of robbers
In another CBPV thread on here - someone attempted to make a sort of "catch can" to collect the dropping bees, allow healthy bees to get back up and also reduce the chances of robbing from outside. I don't know how successful it was. Worth a search maybe.

Back