Dead bees/larvae outside new hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roybaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
10 days ago I acquired a new colony. I have a larger existing colony 15 ft away. I performed the 1st full hive inspection yesterday. Last week I noticed a few dead bees and larvae outside of hive. Inspection went well; all looked fine. After tidy up yesterday, this morning I noticed new dead bees and large healthy looking larvae out side of hive again. I decreased the size of of the entrance to about an inch as I suspected robbing by my other larger hive but don't know if there is a connection to the dead bees/larvae. Any comments would be welcome.

Also, in the larger hive there were no queen cells present, a couple of empty queen cups but I noticed, at the top of a frame in the BB, what I think are drone cells protruding with large mature larva very exposed. Is that a common occurrence ?

Again, thanks for any observations.

Roybaz

You might have squished a few during inspection NE cleaner bees dumped them outside. I've noticed when they've built drone comb around edges of prams, no matter how careful I am, I've ended up knocking tops of cells or possibly damaging drone pupae, they'll pull them out and dump them.

Don't worry, just doing housekeeping, the move and inspections can lose a few
E

Hi Roybaz,
The dead bees, they are not by any chance black and shiny?

Hi Roybaz,
The dead bees, they are not by any chance black and shiny?
It unlikly to be CBPV from what has been said. But with lava being thrown out of the hivem it could be lack of stores

Don't worry, just doing housekeeping, the move and inspections can lose a few
E

I think Enrico has the most likely answer. Probably the exposed drone brood you damaged in your inspection.

Cazza

Thank yo for all your comments . Will keep an eye out over the next few days to see if normal service resumes.

Latest posts

Back