Dead bees in TBH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazza

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've returned to beekeeping after some 20 years away, and have a TBH with a colony obtained as a nuc from a local beekeeper some three months ago. The colony has been doing well, and has spread to some 12 frames. I've been feeding throughout the "summer" but haven't done so for three weeks or so. I checked the mite drop for Varroa a few weeks ago with a negative result and the colony appears healthy.
However, when I opened the hive today I found hundreds of dead bees in the part of the hive beyond the dividing board. The main colony seems clear of dead bees.
The colony is very light, so I've put in some syrup in case it is a lack of food problem, but I'm wondering if anyone else has come across a similar situation. I appreciate there might be numerous reasons, but would welcome any thoughts.
I've collected a good number and have put them in the freezer for now.
Any help gratefully received.

I had a similar problem with bees passing through the follower bar gaps . It was a time they were light on stores. I assume they died of starvation and with no undertaker bees in the unoccupied half, were left there.

Not many - maybe 50-100.

To have lots suggests an external cause: robbing?

I now line my follower board ends with cardboard to make better seals. ( Pallet wood and poor carpentry make for gaps )

have you got an entrance on one end of hive, and bees that are dead are far end, if so drill a ten millimeter hole opposite end where the dead bees are they go behind follower board and die if there is no exit

have you got an entrance on one end of hive, and bees that are dead are far end, if so drill a ten millimeter hole opposite end where the dead bees are they go behind follower board and die if there is no exit

I agree, I don't think its anything other than they couldn't find their way back to the colony.

From experiencing the same thing I would say it's just gaps. (My bad workmanship)
I ended up putting some loose quadrant on the floor to block any gaps.

When the divider was removed for inspection the undertakers moved in and cleared them away.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the info. - have put some more syrup in today and all appears well. I suspect that they have been short of food.

Latest posts

Back