Dead and dying bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look underneath when they have stopped flying in the evening. If you see clusters of bees they need removing and putting at the entrance. Let me know because I am fairly sure this will be the problem!
No, I look every evening (and several times during the day) and there are no bees clustering anywhere except when it's warm and sunny.

Here it is bright intermittent sunshine with a stiff wind. 10 degrees by thermometer. My bees are flying like mad. However I am constantly taking my coat off when sun is out, getting very chilled and putting it back on when the clouds appear. Bet that is what is happening to your bees ( not the coat bit, before anyone comments)

Exactly. Air temperatures are at record lows for this time of year. but the sun is packing some power. The pity is that without coats any bees that go down in shady areas stay down, especially with sub-zero night temperatures. There must be a small but steady loss to colony numbers.

Bees getting chilled during foraging early season - normal
Bees drowning at a water source whilst collecting water to dissolve stores/feed brood - normal
Hives sat on paving stones so that bee mortalities look a lot worse than what it actually is - normal
What is a few hundred (if it actually is that many) from four or so 14x12 hives? - nothing

Bees getting chilled during foraging early season - normal
Bees drowning at a water source whilst collecting water to dissolve stores/feed brood - normal
Hives sat on paving stones so that bee mortalities look a lot worse than what it actually is - normal
What is a few hundred (if it actually is that many) from four or so 14x12 hives? - nothing

Agreed. As I said, a small but steady loss. which is worse than usual here, an amount which could worry new Beeks and the OP.
My other half has noticed the increase. She complains (quite rightly) when I walk the squashed workers into the house, especially when there are streaks of (bee!) poo and pollen. The door mat is a right mess. The sparrows that normally clean up crawlers and hawk for foragers seem to have gone this year, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Don't fix yourself to that nosema.

Are you some kind of forum exorcist?
Obviously not, as you are still on it!:ROFLMAO:

We have a saying down under, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". You need to find out yourself what happens to nosemic bees when they fly in spring. I cannot teach it to you.

Obviously not, as you are still on it!:ROFLMAO:

We have a saying down under, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". You need to find out yourself what happens to nosemic bees when they fly in spring. I cannot teach it to you.

We have a saying that Australians cannot see nosema in Europa from that distance.

That is s good attitude, that you treat another person as a dog. It helps learning happening.

I am with you, that you cannot teach me what the spring is.

Last edited:
We have a saying that Australians cannot see nosema in Europa from that distance.

That is s good attitude, that you treat another person as a dog. It helps learning happening.

I am with you, that you cannot teach me what the spring is.
It's different here anyhow. We have cold days and strong sun. If you came here you would be surprised. Your face would be burnt like a chip whilst you are in your thick coat.

It's different here anyhow. We have cold days and strong sun. If you came here you would be surprised. Your face would be burnt like a chip whilst you are in your thick coat.

If you come here, your bells will be frozen.

You surely have cold days. I have seen in youtube that you gave hot days and rainy days too. And car days of course.

:giggle:

If you come here, your bells will be frozen.

You surely have cold days. I have seen in youtube that you gave hot days and rainy days too. And car days of course.
You never lost it Finnie, in fact you get better with age.

I switched Finnie off some years ago. If he has really mellowed I might let him try to annoy me again!! :hairpull: :hairpull: :devilish:

Latest posts

Back