Day 1 in the Big Brother Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essexgary

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

For those that are interested - here's a summary of my first day with the girls. For the more experienced amoung you, I hope it provokes some memories - for the newbee's perhaps it will give you some reassurance that you're not alone.

Probably best for me to split this in two - firstly the world through my eyes

went out first thing to see lots of activity and coming-and-going, all looked good. Then the previously mentioned 'dambuster' incident when I saw a bee fly overhead with a large cargo. The cargo was unceremoniously dropped at my feet in the garden and after inspection, it was a bewildered bee with shredded wings. Alarm bells. Looked in my books, posted a thread and started worrying about varroa. Suit on, I looked at the inspection tray - counted 3 mites. Not wanting to open up the hive for too long, I did - just to check the feeder, and take a quick look - all seemed normal, and no evidence of wing damage on other bees. then I noticed a few stragglers on the ground - maybe 4. one had shredded wings, one drone one having a fight with another one. By this time, I am convinced that the colony are all going to die of something or other. So I stand there most of the day (with the hive closed) observing and worrying about the stragglers. meanwhile regular foraging is continuing at a rapid pace. Then, 2 wasps show up - Oh Jeez - as if I haven't got enough to worry about (dying bees, 3 varroa mites, shredded wings...) the wasp guard is on the beehaus, so I'm now looking to make sure the new colony is defending properly - there seem to be more bees hovvering around the entrance which I think is good. I go and prepare a wasp trap of syrup and vinegar, but put too much vinegar in probably because even the wasps wont touch it. I squash a wasp then remember my school-boy science class about wasp-radar. Oh s**t within 5 minutes I'm expecting 20,000 wasps to come to the rescue. They dont arrive. By this time, hours have passed and I'm exhausted. Decide to go inside and have some chocolate cake (whilst looking through the kitchen window with binoculars).

Now, the day from the bees eyes. Nice and warm, lets go out for a spin around our new area, there are some dead/dying bees that we need to remove, probably from the journey the day before, one or two have shredded wings maybe from trying get out of the nuc-box, or foraging in Borrage which is where our old hive was. Why is this 6ft white lump always hanging around? a few dying bees at the entrance floor, trying to have a dignified last few moments - impossible, with the white 6ft lump bending over them and inspecting... pesky wasps - don't worry, we've been dealing with wasps for 20million years - today's no different. Right girls, hang around the entrance and try and get rid of them.. whats that stink of vinegar? Yawn, lets go to bed. Night.

So, 9pm last night. All's quiet - they are tucked up in bed, I see a dying wasp on the floor (go girls!) - and I go back in the house. I feel embarrassed and guilty for worrying so much. and even worse, I'm now sitting at my desk at work with an un-ironed shirt, my normal Sunday task. So lesson 1 well and truly learned - leave them be and stop worrying!

That said, I plan to break from feeding in about 2 weeks, treat with Apiguard, and keep an eye on the wings and wasps...

Gary

Hi All,
Decide to go inside and have some chocolate cake (whilst looking through the kitchen window with binoculars).

Gary

Gary, that made me laugh. I am not alone.
I have a telescope trained on mine.................
This winter the hives (I started with one, long story) are being moved a few yards and the entrances will point away from the house. I have been exploring wireless CCTV :svengo:
My husband thinks I am insane.

Have you nothing better to do than scope a hive? (heresy!)

PH

Et tu Essexgary? I thought I was the only one that checks when getting up - I can see the hive from the bungalow bedroom...'just happen to pass' the hive about 20 times a day...Have a chair positioned so I can sit and watch orientation flights....and a bench so that the rest of the family can sit with me...YES - we are all obsessed...

Have you nothing better to do than scope a hive? (heresy!)

PH

I don't have that eyepiece glued to my eye ALL the time............honest.
However, if I hadn't been looking on one occasion I would have lost that swarm from my newly acquired nuc which has now got a lovely fat queen who has laid up two sides of two frames so I might manage to save them through the winter
:)
And yes I know I should have spotted that cunningly hidden QC after I A/S the colony because of the ones I did find.

Great story Gary... what the neighbours must have thought let alone the bees!!

Inspecting our bees tonight, lets hope the wild comb has not made a reappearance!

P.S liking the chain in the photo you sent!

lol, I know exactly how you feel! Mine are on the allotment, so I can't watch them anywhere near as much as I would like. I have worried about everything from wasps to pollution in the stream running through the allotments, to lack of food, to not being able to hear them! At inspection, they were doing very well, drawing comb and making stores like the clappers!

Your moral, about bee having done this for millions of years is true, and I should take heed. Glad they are doing well. :)

welcome to the 'slightly infectious' world of beekeeping!! LOL :cheers2:

welcome to the 'slightly infectious' world of beekeeping!! LOL :cheers2:

SLIGHTLY INFECTIOUS?????? lol, you are having a laugh! Since I did the training day on 1st July, I have done nothing but read about bees, look at bees, watch bees, think about bees, look at pictures of bees and dream about bees!! Oh, and much to the dismay of those around me, talk about bees. :D

Et tu Essexgary? I thought I was the only one that checks when getting up - I can see the hive from the bungalow bedroom...'just happen to pass' the hive about 20 times a day...Have a chair positioned so I can sit and watch orientation flights....and a bench so that the rest of the family can sit with me...YES - we are all obsessed...
i know that feeling..being in lympstone on hols and the Bees in London...what are my bees doing..but back on sunday..after the furry dance.. once a morris dancer always an morris dance...not much difference fron bees keepering..dress uup in white, put a funny hat on..wave your hand in the air ( when stung)..then HAVE A BEER...but morris dancing is less painful :party:

Last edited:
Is that how morris dancers dance when we're not looking MM? :party:

;)

MM If you're here till Sunday - have a day off and go to the Honiton Show on Thursday

Don't use wireless as you still need to have a power souce for the camera wired is getting cheaper and more reliable i have 2 at my hive, Bees and CCTV are my chosen hobbies a good combo LoL
very sad really i can sit for hours in the comfort of the living room and the best thing is its recording goings on

Don't use wireless as you still need to have a power souce for the camera wired is getting cheaper and more reliable i have 2 at my hive, Bees and CCTV are my chosen hobbies a good combo LoL
very sad really i can sit for hours in the comfort of the living room and the best thing is its recording goings on

Ok, I'm risking a hex from Poly Hive here, but what's your set up?

Very funny post Gary, and very true

Glad you enjoyed it.. I can also say that Day 2 in the big brother beehaus was a bit less fraught - mainly because I was at work. Until... I called home, and my partner said that everything looked fine, loads of bees foraging "oh" he says..."well, um... I thinkthey're bees...um, not sure now actually..." I say "are they yellow and black with antenae?" he says "not sure, ok, got to go, see you later..." then I spend the rest of the day watching the clock. Get home and make 2 wasp traps, one with dog food mixed in, put up the waspinator, and made a rat-glue trap with jam. Of course, the bees were coming and going high on pollen and nectar, ignoring me whilst I raced around them like there's just been an apocolypse.

You wouldn't BELIEVE the quote I got for a full-time Marks-man! Jeez, you'd think those guys have got work coming out of their ears or something! so knocked that one on the head...

Work is great and I could sit and watch it all day,,, but its not as good as not working and watching the bees work all day while sitting in the garden in the sun with a glass of wine..

Could you wire your set up to my house? You don't live that far from me ;-)

Did you ever mention doing this to Paul, because he was talking about doing it with our hive and wiring into the school for the kids to watch. Great idea, alas we spent the money lol, but we are thinking of putting in for another grant.

Latest posts

Back