Data Protection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandyrob

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Does any body know about Data Protection?
My Wife works for one of the big supermarkets who have recently lost employees data including name, date of birth, national insurance no, bank account no, and address. They have bought every employee whose data was lost/stolen an anti fraud package with a company who does that sort of thing.
The problem I have is although it was my wife's data it was my bank account no. where do i stand? any help will be gratefully appreciated

Does any body know about Data Protection?
My Wife works for one of the big supermarkets who have recently lost employees data including name, date of birth, national insurance no, bank account no, and address. They have bought every employee whose data was lost/stolen an anti fraud package with a company who does that sort of thing.
The problem I have is although it was my wife's data it was my bank account no. where do i stand? any help will be gratefully appreciated

Your bank account number is on every cheque you issue and as such widely known so why so fretful? Or are you scenting compensation money

Your bank account number is on every cheque you issue and as such widely known so why so fretful? Or are you scenting compensation money

Im not intrested in compensation. I dont know allot about fraud or data protection. What I am intrested in is getting some answers from the company involved and because of the off hand way my inquiries have been handled so far it would be useful to know where I stand as to the law and legislation.

Not much to worry about because somebody has your bank details... You give those out whenever you write a cheque and use your debit card on-line..

I'm more concerned about the amount of informatin that Nectar knows about me.

You gave your data to a third party, your wife. It was her data that was lost/compromised so the company that made data public is responsible for your wife's data. They have not actually lost any of your private data. Change your bank account number if you are that bothered. End of problem, but if you now know of it and later claim it was their fault you won't have a leg to stand on.

Thank you all for putting things into perspective.

Wouldn't be Morrisions by any chance?

Yes. They where very slow to inform employees and as an ex employee im still waiting to find out if my data was lost.

Im not intrested in compensation. I dont know allot about fraud or data protection. What I am intrested in is getting some answers from the company involved and because of the off hand way my inquiries have been handled so far it would be useful to know where I stand as to the law and legislation.

A breech of that size would be reported to the IC, you can raise a complaint to them if you believe your data has been mishandled. Or you can just wait until they release a report in 18 months.

http://ico.org.uk/ is your friend here.

If you can establish that your personal data has been compromised then you might have a case. As a current employee, your wife's employer could reasonably be expected to need to know and store somewhere her bank details and other related information such as her address . They are responsible for the safekeeping of that information and, I dare say, will be in trouble that someone, internal or not, leaked that information.

If you can establish, as an ex employee, that your information was in the data that was released AND that it is unreasonable that they were holding that information about you then you might have cause for complaint.

You can request that they send to you copies of all the details that they hold about you but they can charge you a reasonable administrative charge to do that.

At this point I need to say that I am not a lawyer but I would suspect that as an ex employee it might be considered reasonable that they might continue to hold some information about you.

To be honest I just wanted them to set my mind to rest. Iv just closed one bank account because there was money going out that shouldn't have so possibly im a bit paranoid. If they had just answered the simple questions I asked I would have been happy. As it is I have moved and changed banks since I worked for them my wife uses my bank for her pay to go into so lower risk than others. But it shouldn't take people on a beekeeping forum ( to whom im grateful to) to answer my questions and put things into perspective it should have been done by the people who couldn't look after the data in the first place.

I think you're entirely justified in that expectation. While they can point to the individual who is also liable, I'm surprised they aren't grovelling to everyone whose data they've lost.

. But it shouldn't take people on a beekeeping forum ( to whom im grateful to) to answer my questions and put things into perspective it should have been done by the people who couldn't look after the data in the first place.

I regret to say modern corporations have lost touch with real people.. and will eventually pay the price for that... Increasing wealth for the rich and powerful and successful companies (see Google's cash pile) whilst many of their countrymen are struggling is an unsustainable business model...

Sorry for the digression.. (I write as the last person to be a revolutionary)

Regardless of whether you volunteered the information or not - once they record it electronically they have a duty of care to keep that information secure - they are now in breach of that legistlative duty thus are liable to prosecution (forget the insinuations on here that you are 'trying it on' for some compo - they have broken the law!) remember the baying there was when Revenue and Customs allegedly 'lost' peoples personal details (including willingly submitted bank details) so what's the difference here? they have compromised your personal security

Latest posts

Back