Data leak

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Write the passwords on a post it, pin it to the computer, job done. Hackers very seldom break into your house 😊

That worked back in 1998. My password manager tells me it has 455 passwords saved :oops: ..... big post-it note?

also, "PatrickImportsBees" is really easy for hackers to guess whether or not you put it on a post it :cool:

Compromised data? What possible important data do you have in this forum that is not already in the public domain or on databases of international marketing companies

Your email and password, which is very useful to hackers if you have used the same (or similar) combination on another, perhaps more sensitive, site.

Compromised data? What possible important data do you have in this forum that is not already in the public domain or on databases of international marketing companies

Little bits of info such as, email address, area of residence, online habits, IP address, age, gender, the fact that you are a beekeeper, etc. Not state secrets but when added to all the myriad of other bits of data a complete profile of you emerges. I'm guessing you get spam all the time, as we all do. I also bet that it won't be ads for ladies shoes or ex military hardware. That's because they probably don't fit your profile.
Whilst it is just advertisers using your data, you might be able to live with it. What if it is organised criminal gangs or government or terrorists?

Last edited:
That worked back in 1998. My password manager tells me it has 455 passwords saved :oops: ..... big post-it note?

also, "PatrickImportsBees" is really easy for hackers to guess whether or not you put it on a post it :cool:
Its complicated enough for the BBKA :D or my favourite retort would be KISS :confused:

Little bits of info such as, email address, area of residence, online habits, IP address, age, gender, the fact that you are a beekeeper, etc. Not state secrets but when added to all the myriad of other bits of data a complete profile of you emerges. I'm guessing you get spam all the time, as we all do. I also bet that it won't be ads for ladies shoes or ex mlitary hardware. That's because they probably don't fit your profile.
Little bits of info such as, email address, area of residence, online habits, IP address, age, gender, the fact that you are a beekeeper, etc. Not state secrets but when added to all the myriad of other bits of data a complete profile of you emerges. I'm guessing you get spam all the time, as we all do. I also bet that it won't be ads for ladies shoes or ex mlitary hardware. That's because they probably don't fit your profile.
Whilst it is just advertisers using your data, you might be able to live with it. What if it is organised criminal gangs or government or terrorists?

[/QU
As I said a lot of information such as ip address , online habits, etc etc
I don’t think hackers of criminal gangs would try to hack a bee forum to trawl for information trying to build up a profile to then steal what? Our honey? Are bee keepers sufficiently wealthy that it would be worth a hackers time and effort or is it more likely to be a mistake? Lol

Its complicated enough for the BBKA :D or my favourite retort would be KISS :confused:
I read an article years ago of how to have a different password for every forum/bank/website or whatever and remember them, the system does work and my children are now using their own variant

I read an article years ago of how to have a different password for every forum/bank/website or whatever and remember them, the system does work and my children are now using their own variant

This would be more interesting if you told us what the system was

This would be more interesting if you told us what the system was
You simple pick something which is constant throughout all you passwords for example Abc@123 then you decide to place it at the beginning or end of your password.
So for example googleAbc@123, beeAbc@123, bankAbc@123 etc etc, after awhile it becomes second nature and you rarely forget a password and never require to write them down.
You can adapt it to suit your own needs and if your password is compromised all the others are safe as your password will just look like a one off and not unlock any other accounts, yes there are flaws but it is a nice easy way to ‘remember’ all your passwords

I use something similar - with an element of the website address incorporated into the password eg 1st 4 letters/numbers backwards added to your password somewhere eg tesla-scuba-keeb-walk

I use something similar - with an element of the website address incorporated into the password eg 1st 4 letters/numbers backwards added to your password somewhere eg tesla-scuba-keeb-walk
Unfortunately with so many passwords required for important and trivial stuff some sort of system is required where you don’t duplicate passwords and don’t require an encyclopaedic sized book to keep them in!!

Unfortunately with so many passwords required for important and trivial stuff some sort of system is required where you don’t duplicate passwords and don’t require an encyclopaedic sized book to keep them in!!

Indeed

Lastpass is free, and Dashlane is dirt cheap, and both just fix this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back