Darley Dale Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz lightyear

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Quick question, someone at work wants local honey for Hay Fever. They live in Darley Dale, derbyshire, near Matlock. Anyone know of a Beek in those parts that might have a few jars for sale? Cheers, Buzz

Hi Buzz
Most hey fever is caused from grass pollen and the bees dont collect that so perhaps not much help.

I've read somewhere that bees are like little dusters when they fly. Lots of microscopic stuff ends up on their bodies so grass pollen may well be there in small quantities which is how homeopathic stuff is supposed to work.

I have a couple of people who buy my local honey as they are convinced it helps their hay fever. Who am I to dissuade them ;)

how homeopathic stuff is supposed to work.

Homepathic stuff does not work.

From wikipedia: 'A 2010 inquiry into the evidence base for homeopathy conducted by the United Kingdom's House of Commons Science and Technology Committee concluded that homeopathy is no more effective than placebo'

to mention just one of many studies which reach the same conclusion.

That's not to say that honey for treating hayfever doesn't work as I'm not sure of the arguments/theories supporting this. It could well work.

Hi Buzz
Most hey fever is caused from grass pollen and the bees dont collect that so perhaps not much help.

Apart from vast number of others that are sensitive to tree pollen! In the pollen reports on the TV and Radio, tree pollen levels are mentioned very regularly.

If the customer chooses to believe that a jar of local honey will do them some good then "Bless them" and all their ilk.

I hear a cash register ringing....

PH

Get into the homeopathy business PH, a couple of grams of honey will be enough to produce "medicine" for the entire known universe at C200 dilution rates, you'll be deafened by the cash till then!

Get into the homeopathy business PH, a couple of grams of honey will be enough to produce "medicine" for the entire known universe at C200 dilution rates, you'll be deafened by the cash till then!

If it was say tree pollen that caused the hay fever in a person and the bees collect that pollen then perhaps it may work. The problem is the person will have to have honey that the bees have gathered a good proportion of the nectar from the tree or trees that cause the hay fever and start taking the honey 6 months be for the tree starts to flower to build up resistance.

I am all for taking something if it makes you feel good I like a single malt whisky in the winter I think it keeps me warm.

Isn't there something different about the antibodies formed against inhaled v ingested allergens? I seem to remember IgA, IgM, IgG, IgE in the dim distant past when I was at college. Would an ingested substance help an allergic reaction provoked by an inhaled allergen?
As for homeopathy there is the notion that the weaker the dilution the more effective the "medicine" to the extent that a dilution containing NO molecules of this medicine is effective as water has memory of the molecules it has been in contact with (provided the solution is shaken in the right manner when made) ...... are you still with me?
Considering the water you drink today has been round the world n number of times since the earth came into existence it should be able to cure you of anything.

The notion of "water memory" was to counter the fact a a C200 dilution requires a dose larger than the entire known universe to ensure a single molecule of the "active substance" to reach the patient, the biggest joke is the banging the table thing, I believe it even has a name - Succussion!

I have a disabled son.
He is blind, and cannot walk or talk.
He also spent the first years of his life suffering bad Hay Fever.
Then we started giving him a spoonful of local Honey each morning.
His Hay Fever has gone.
So
For us it worked bee-smillie

Sorry dont know any beeks near matlock but the honey for hay fever question is a classic case of horses for courses

Back