Dark Honey, smells unusual ! What is it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ahh!
I have just removed some very dark, fusty smelling (a bit like pee/socks)honey, unusual anyway. Tastes lovely, just wondering what it might come from. Edge of town setting with a range of trees around me from lime to walnut and horse chestnut. Lots of gardens and parkland

Thanks
Mark

Look like this but appears a bit darker I real life

Attachments

• 15979355266609123766782396656016.jpg
    15979355266609123766782396656016.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
Dandelion honey smells of old socks but is yellow. Lime is greenish? Walnuts produce catkins and are largely wind pollinated but bees do get honeydew from them. Maybe it’s that?

I had a similar honey here last year and decided it was from something in the asteraceae family. When I asked on the forum about it, someone posted an interesting comment that the smell is not necessarily considered a defect (I consider it a defect!), and posted an excellent wheel chart that showed all the different honey aromas on it.
From memory, I decided it fell into the "farmyard" smell category.

I had a similar honey here last year and decided it was from something in the asteraceae family. When I asked on the forum about it, someone posted an interesting comment that the smell is not necessarily considered a defect (I consider it a defect!), and posted an excellent wheel chart that showed all the different honey aromas on it.
From memory, I decided it fell into the "farmyard" smell category.

A wheel that looks similar to this?

Source: Honey Tasting - dummies

Attachments

• CC26D4FC-D8E6-4C87-909E-D7C5359C585A.jpeg
    CC26D4FC-D8E6-4C87-909E-D7C5359C585A.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 64
Would ragwort contribute to a fusty smelling darker honey?
I've had a fair few yellow frames this year with a definite osour and not dark - but darker honey.

Yes, that looks very similar thank you. I can't read it all because of some of the print, but from memory I would put this sort of honey under "animal" where perhaps the farmyard ('pee smell) reference is?
There's a zoom function top right of your screen. 'Barnyard', manure, cat's urine, etc.

I have just removed some very dark, fusty smelling (a bit like pee/socks)honey, unusual anyway. Tastes lovely, just wondering what it might come from. Edge of town setting with a range of trees around me from lime to walnut and horse chestnut. Lots of gardens and parkland

SteveG and I currently have hives on eight acres of buckwheat. Very dark honey, peculiar smell but tastes lovely - if unusual.

I've got the regional inspector coming around on Monday to check mine, there's a lot of efb in the area.
Checked them today and they seem fine but if he tests them and does find it then its best to catch it early i think.

Latest posts

Back