Danish oil on honey super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know much about danish oil but I do remember crosote in use and still have some very old inherited floors the had been treated with this on all surfaces. They would be painted in it over autumn winter and allowed3-6 month weathering before use and the bees never seemed to object so Dani's advice about leaving it over winter will be fine, as it is no where near as potent or pongy as crosote. Would be wary about doing sooner as if you can smell any odour, imagine what it will emit when warmed up to internal temp and humidity in the hive.

I do remember crosote in use and still have some very old inherited floors the had been treated with this on all surfaces
They still creosote the hives in South Africa, most of the big suppliers offer the option of supplying hives pre-creosoted

They still creosote the hives in South Africa, most of the big suppliers offer the option of supplying hives pre-creosoted
How long do they weather them for? or straight into use? I imagine the climate out there might cause the fumes to dissipate a bit quicker than over winter here. I do think we get over-excited about what we put on the outside of the hives over here.

Probably the best thing to paint on the inside of the box is propolis tincture. Marla Spivak from the University of Minnesota has shown there is measurable benefit to doing this.

Back