Damson Melomel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have recently bought Michael Badgers Mead and Honey Wines A Comprehensive guide which is excellent but as I now have damsons I thought I would try his Damson Melomel recipe on page 224. My problem is he talks about adding half a can of red grape concentrate but I don't know what half a can equates to. Can anybody advise?

That is indeed a good link. I looked but couldn't find anything so I'll go with 125ml. For such a brilliant book it seems odd that measurements such as half a tin is used rather than specific volumes.

If it’s a North American book or an antipodean book, could you not google up an American foodstuff site and find a “ Can” of grape concentrate and see what the volume is, then half it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
If it were an American book then I could but it's a British book and it has one of those pages but it doesn't specify what a tin is. Having never used a tin of anything in my Mead it stumped me especially as it seems mostly to be sold in plastic bottles and you can pick the volume you require ie 250ml, 500ml, 1000ml etc

https://www.bee-craft.com/shop/books/mead-and-honey-wines-a-comprehensive-guide

I found a couple of old recipes for mead....never tried them as I)m not a fan of mead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Finally a recipe that sounds very unusual, for a raspberry mead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
That is indeed a good link. I looked but couldn't find anything so I'll go with 125ml. For such a brilliant book it seems odd that measurements such as half a tin is used rather than specific volumes.

I looked through my store cupboard and the average tin contains 400g or 400ml

Latest posts

Back