Damp problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just did a quick check before closing up for winter.

I have a double brood..... and Found damp around the back of both boxes, and little pools of water along where the frame runners are...

I assume the water gets in between the gaps of the brood boxes, and the gap between brood box and crown board? (There are no noticeable gaps between these though.)

Would wrapping sort this Out for winter...or could there be another reason for the damp?

Condensation. Runs down the inner walls of upper BC into the space behind the runners of the lower BC. I run double broods and often see this in autumn.

Just did a quick check before closing up for winter.

I have a double brood..... and Found damp around the back of both boxes, and little pools of water along where the frame runners are...

I assume the water gets in between the gaps of the brood boxes, and the gap between brood box and crown board? (There are no noticeable gaps between these though.)

Would wrapping sort this Out for winter...or could there be another reason for the damp?
I have a paynes poly hive that had the same problem.
I think there must be water leaking in between any supper and brood boxes.
What type of hive are you using?

I vote for condensation too. Does not matter as long as you have good insulation on the top so that it does not condense there and drip onto the bees.
Provided boxes are a good fit and well aligned, unlikely to get water ingress between boxes

I would suggest a leak.

Condensation forms on cold surfaces or so I was told in physics class. Poly being warm why would condensation form there? Not something I have seen yet.

PH

I can't see that the OP has said whether he has wood or poly hives. I used to get condensation on the roofs of my old Paynes polys until I glued two inches of celotex on top

Wraping mite help.
Sorry
Wrapping might help.
As recommended to me put a sheet of kingspan or some other insulation in a supper on top of the brood boxes, this helps to stop condensation. I hope you can get the problem solved.

As you wll know Drex I use Swienty units and its those I refer to. Paynes roofs are a bit pitiful.

PH

I have a wooden hive..,

I assumed either condensation or a leak. I Will try wrapping and insulation.

Have a double brood on. Might increased space cause condensation?

I have a wooden hive..,

I assumed either condensation or a leak. I Will try wrapping and insulation.

Have a double brood on. Might increased space cause condensation?

If it's empty of bees? On top or bottom..?

If empty and on top.. far too much space to heat..

I never wrap as I want the wooden sides of my hives able to breathe. I have 5 cm of Celotex in all my roofs. To much empty space is a recipe for condensation. Most of my colonies go through winter as double brood, but all are good strong colonies with lots of bees and stores.

I support the opinion of Drex (and Master BK) on this one. There are strong recommendations here from beekeepers to paint the inside of hives to avoid rotting timber there.... (not trusting the bees to sufficiently propolise inside surfaces).

If it's empty of bees? On top or bottom..?

If empty and on top.. far too much space to heat..

Top not empty of bees, but not packed either.

I been toying with the idea of reducing to one brood box over winter. I decided earlier that I would, so your post reinforces my decision

Eddie?

You have no hole open in the CB and a good inch of insulation over that yes?

If not that might be a plan.

PH

Eddie?

You have no hole open in the CB and a good inch of insulation over that yes?

If not that might be a plan.

PH

No holes.

I have 50mm insulation, put in recently. So I will monitor if that makes a difference

Latest posts

Back