Damp/Mouldy Inspection Tray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curry756

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

Again I am new to beekeeping. I have just been and cleaned my inspection trays and noticed that one of them was bone dry and the other was damp and had a few areas of mould. It has rained a lot here over the last 2 days - even my house started leaking.

Would this worry you? Also, a stupid question, but you are meant to leave in the Inspections Trays right?

:thanks:

Both hives have new untreated cedar open mesh floors. The one thats damp has a new untreated cedar brood body too. The dry one has a old brood body, assume its cedar, but its very old.

How long have you had the trays in for?

Craig

Most people leave their trays out all year apart from when they do a varroa count and when they treat in the autumn and that's what I have done.
This year though I have cut a 3 inch hole in all the boards and am leaving them in.
Beekeepers of old had solid floors.
I suspect the hive with the dry floors has enough ventilation.
The other....you need to find out if the hive is leaking or there is condensation dripping on the tray.
Have you got insulation on the top?

Hello,

Also, a stupid question, but you are meant to leave in the Inspections Trays right?

:thanks:
Not that stupid, if you haven't been told. The inspection trays should only be put in when you need to check the mite drop or when treating with Apiguard/MAQS (also handy in winter to see where the cluster is in the hive by seeing the deposits of cappings where they are either uncapping stores or brood is emerging) All other times open mesh floor should be left well, open :). You'll start a debate on this now but mine are always open unless treating or checking mite drop.

May be why the tray is damp and mouldy as detritus will build up there and become a haven for all kinds of nasties

Jenks has said it all.....damp will kill bees quicker than anything. They can cope with cold by increasing energy, but if they get damp they can't dry off and it saps their energy, therefore ventilation is the key. With the advent of mesh floors they get all the ventilation they need. If you are in a windy spot then use a half floor or a floor with holes in to reduce gusts of Wind blowing in from underneath. I am on a windy hill, no floors in at all. They survive fine!
E

If the wind blows 'just right' it can blow rain in through tiny gaps or even the entrance/rear of the floor. Once a year our boiler conks out when the wind and rain are aligned 'just right' so that might be what happened with your hive.
I read a tip the other day - stand your open mesh floor on an empty super to help insulate the bees from gusts of wind - does this work?

Once again, simple idea that I have never heard of but probably works really well
Thanks
E

Some of my floors went moldy during the 7 day count period last week, i suspect those may have had open brood in those due to the type of debris on the inspection board (wax mirror scales and cappings)

Most of the year i have the inspection board out and no other ventilation other than the open mesh floor , but in winter OMF is over an empty super (draughts) I also put insulation under the roof, either a slab of wall insulation or a poly bean bag/cushion

A few solid floor Hives that i help an old beekeeper with are over wintered, tilted slightly forward, entrance block out, wide mouseguards on, a thin quit and (oh yes) a penny under one corner of the crown board exactly as he has done every winter since 1950

Last edited:
If the wind blows 'just right' it can blow rain in through tiny gaps or even the entrance/rear of the floor. Once a year our boiler conks out when the wind and rain are aligned 'just right' so that might be what happened with your hive.
I read a tip the other day - stand your open mesh floor on an empty super to help insulate the bees from gusts of wind - does this work?

Duno, but I do it anyway! :spy:

Back