Damn Woodpeckers!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have 3 hives in one of my apiaries and found today that a woodpecker has pecked large holes in the felt on the roofs of all three. On one it has even gone through the wood underneath. Anyway that aside it seems that metal on my hive roofs is the way forward. Just looked at Thornes and they are pretty expensive so does anyone have a better idea or even where to source this metal cheaper?

There is a company that just sells the metal roofs.
Let me go check my database for the contact details.

Edit: found them.
Not sure on the price but here goes:

Contact name: Brian Pedley
Company name: B. J. Engineering
Address: Unit 2, Worcester Enterprise Centre
Shrub Hill Trading Estate
Shrub Hill Road
Worcester
Postcode: WR4 9FG
Telephone office: 01905 29517
Telephone Mobile: 077 104 01827

I think the company is one of Dave Cushmans (Apex engineering) old suppliers.

Maisemore Apiaries, in Gloucester, sell galvanised roof covers for £7.62 each, May have gone up a bit these were Mar 2008 prices.
Regards Mike

Brian was selling roof covers for around ?4 back last spring,but steel prices have been up and down like a yoyo. I only buy 8x4 sheets to make covers,and only supply ready made cedar roofs.old caravan aluminium is good if you can get hold of some. Those woodpeckers once they start this are hard to stop,have you got other protection on or around the sides of your hives?

No protection at all Hivemaker. What would you suggest? In all of the 30 plus years I have kept bees this is only the 2nd time I have had problems but they have really gone for it this time.

Some use pieces of plastic sheeting pinned to the sides of the hives,or wire mesh,hang up shiny things to scare them off,strawberry netting over the tops,or the final solution, not entirely legal, but effective,shotgun.

Last edited:
Oh come on, Hivemaker:banghead: that's awful
Netting isn't expensive and is there for each year.
Please dont kill those beautiful birds.
I can still visualise the sparrowhawk grabbing one off my birdtable and eating it on my lawn - horrid day!
I have green and greater spotted - they havent touched my hives - but I live next to them so keep a watch. Those of you with outapiaries- protect if nec.

:)blush5: - but squirrels are another matter -hold my hands up to that one)

Don't worry i'm not going to be shooting Woodpeckers. The "not entirely legal" comment should read "totally illegal". On this occasion prevention is the name of the game.

Contacted Brian Pedley today and he is sorting me out. Luckily I don't live to far from him which is a bonus. Thoroughly nice bloke and well worth a call if you want to replace the felt on your hives with metal.

Pleased I took the time to find his details now.

Well done for getting sorted,can you tell us what price he gave you ?

Jonathan,
Another idea, entirely unscientific, but logical. I heard that Woodpeckers don't attack white hives. All my WBC's are white and in a wooded area where we have woodpeckers and they have never been attacked ( Oh God why Am I saying this). Never seen white Nationals but you could start a trend.

Heather, Jonathan, did you only read the very last word in what i wrote, and missed all the rest. again the other bits i wrote said,plastic on sides of hive.hang up shiny things,wire mesh around hives,strawberry netting.

Jonathan,
Another idea, entirely unscientific, but logical. I heard that Woodpeckers don't attack white hives. All my WBC's are white and in a wooded area where we have woodpeckers and they have never been attacked ( Oh God why Am I saying this). Never seen white Nationals but you could start a trend.

Thats worth a thread all of its own.

use poly hives as they don't like the sensation of the beaks getting stuck. ;)

PH

Hello,
Try hanging a BLUE platic bag next to the hives and a couple of old CDs hung in the apiary. These voodoo tricks repel the woodpeckers!
Best regards
Norton

Hi All

Some sites never get bothered by woodpeckers other sites were thay have learned the trick can be plagued.

It's not the white paint that repels them but rather the double layer on WBC'S, and yes I have seen one time when they went through both.

PH: I had one Poly Hive that they made look like Swiss Cheese:svengo:

The best protection a roll of chicken wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Ian

Latest posts

Back