Damn Weather...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widdershins

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Hubby been to out apiary to check hives after the last few days awful weather - we've lost 3 hives :( Drowned in over thrown hives.
Am gutted.

correction to my wifes comment, went to check on the 3 hives in the out apiary and now only one left! i think that the bad wet weather has stopped them getting out not helped and one at the top of the garden also lost not sure why? I have given some fondant just in case they need a bit extra but they were all secure and strapped down really gutted ...i hope that our two that are left last through to spring although they are good defending colonies one are REAL followers (a swarm collected..)

Thats not very good news so early into the winter session.

I realy need to give mine a quick check this weekend.

...I'd advise EVERYONE to check their bees ASAP with this weather, if they havent already.

Oh strewth, sorry to hear that news.
Better make a lunchtime trip to check mine.

Thats sad news!

I did pop out to check last night at 4.30

I only drove up to the hives to make sure they had not gone over or got swamped as they are next to a river.

Everything seemed ok although I never got out the car.

Really bad news. Commiserations. The question is why? Seems early in the season for them to have starved. What is your hypothesis? I would be tempted to get them tested. Ask your mentor for advice and send a matchbox full to the NBU for analysis. Don't know if you have to pay for this?? You treated for varroa didn't you, but what about nosema?:confused:

Sorry. am going mad...if they drowned I am talking rubbish as usual!!!

Oh no Widdershins, that's really sad news. I lost one last winter when a branch fell on it and knocked it over, then the pony knocked over another so I know how you feel, mine are on the highest land in my easily flooded field, but it's surprising how powerfully strong flood water is.

So sorry (((hugs)))

Frisbee

I managed to have a very quick look at my hives today, just a quick lift of the lid, no frames lifted out.

All looked Ok, in fact ther was evidence of brace comb being built so they must be doing well.

Hives are still very heavy (single brood).

And a good speread of bees acrros nearly 10 frames.

It's been a nice mild day today, it was 15c this afternoon. I managed a quicky with mine, I had some dummy boards to fit. I've been making them out of plywood and polystyrene, but the brood box I used for measuring was slightly narrower than the one with the bees in :confused: anyway I altered them and took them down today. All seemed well.

Have you got the hives back home to dry out?

One of them is now in the shed, the other one is still on site - we (or, hubby) is going to collect it sometime next week.
Not sure why he only managed to bring the one back, but the other one which is here is also in the shed.

Hope we get some swarms next year...

Latest posts

Back