Damaged Supercedure cell, what now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeker

Leighton Shropshire
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 must stop now.....
Did an inspection, really just to check on stores, as they were really light, with only a teeny bit left a week ago, [after being almost honey bound recently too:(] so guessing their nectar had dried up, [though my other two nearby were still finding loads] so I've fed them2:1 syrup, and they've stored it well.

Now..... as I moved the mite strip to check on a frame, I damaged an uncapped but charged cell which looked like it was joined to the strip, beyond redemption.

Question is what do I do now? check again in a few days, or just leave them to it? Is it too late for supercedure? I know thats a how long is a bit of string question, just a bit confused, as the queen still looks to be laying fine. Queen is this years, and is still laying well, nice pattern etc, though has slowed down a lot of late. Theres still a few drones in this hive, but quite a lot in my other two hives at home.

Definitely not too late for supercedure. As long as the new queen gets mated satisfactorily, there need be no change in laying rate - as dictated by the workers.

If the queen does not get mated the old queen may well still be there next spring. She may still be there next spring, anyway. Who knows? Only the bees, I suspect. The bees will know best and dispose of the old or dud, as appropriate.

In so glad you posted this. I have just hived a colony which was hanging in a tree and 2 weeks later found capped and uncapped what I believe to be supersedure cells. Thinking it was too late I knocked them back and added feed (low stores, like you I thought maybe they were blaming the queen) but this week they've started again so given the advice you have received I'll leave them to it this time. 🤞 the bees know best

Latest posts

Back