Daft Question No1

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
can anyone point me in the right direction of how to hold and rotate a frame when doing an inspection..... some utube vids show various techniques is there a right and a wrong way?

also what does rolling the bee's actually mean is it just the action of one frame rubbing against another as its drawn out of the box?

thanks all hope i am not embarrassing myself by asking the above:seeya:

can anyone point me in the right direction of how to hold and rotate a frame when doing an inspection..... some utube vids show various techniques is there a right and a wrong way?

also what does rolling the bee's actually mean is it just the action of one frame rubbing against another as its drawn out of the box?

thanks all hope i am not embarrassing myself by asking the above:seeya:

i cheat when i rotate a frame. my broods are 14x12 and therefore can get quite heavy...so i rest one bottom corner on the top of the brood wall and swivell it around on that bottom corner...works for me, but not the recommneded "rotate"

I do the same,or if my thumbs get weak I use my index fingers on the side bars.

Yes rolling is when the bees are rolled against another frame,rolled bees get well p****d off..

An old wives tale you may know "don’t rub the bees up the wrong way"

No you are not embarrassing yourself.
At our beginners course we were taught how to hold and rotate the frame.
It's difficult to describe it (easy when you see) but basically try and keep it vertical at all times.
This involves looking at the "face" side after taking it out, then 90 degree one hand horizontally away from you, 180 degree vertically (i.e. turn it upside down keeping it vertical all the time) which means you have to adjust the ends in your fingers, then 90 deg horizontal back towards you. The frame is now upside down meaning you inspect the 2nd face with the top bar at the bottom.

Probably confused you now but practice with a book and you'll see what I mean.

Not too tough, the plane of the foundation is always kept vertical, just as it is hanging in the frame. Take out the frame, have a gander, rotate the frame top clockwise to the vertical and then allow the lugs to rotate through your fingers half a rotation like a flag, just turn it anti-clockwise through 90 degrees. You've looked at both sides and the foundation/comb has always been supported by the frame sides.

It won't take long before you recognise the load involved and the difference in frame weights, at which point you will rotate frames instinctively.

Last edited:
Rotate it however you like just make sure it does not contact other frames and is over the brood box so if the queen drops off you don't loose her!

Good beekeepers don't do those fancy rotations like that diagram with arrows in the bee book shows you how to.

With a large frame in the depths of a sunny summer day, it is all too possible for the wax of a large frame to sag badly if a frame is held near to horizontal - just where it's convenient to see the eggs :)

No question is daft - and we have all asked them all- so speak up...

If you hold nice and straight with the sun shining from behind you onto the frame- easier to see those eggs.
If you are putting first removed frame to one side ( to give room to manipulate the rest) place frame propped gently in the upturned roof- saves bees onto ground getting lost-stood on- distressed. (Did that save another question:cheers2:)
Always put back the last frame very slowly to avoid the 'rolling 'you mentioned. That's when it can happen.

Latest posts

Back