Daffodils

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugfan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hello All

Do my bees visit Daffodils as I have never seen a honeybee on one and also there is an abundance of Gorse in flower just now,very close to my hives, how much use is that to the bees and are they likely to get nectar from it?

Thanks very much

Hi Bugfan welcome to the forum.

Bees will not go near Daffs but will visit Gorse.

We have a lot of Gorse in my area that has traveled on cars etc from the new forest a couple of miles away

I was shocked at the amount of Gorse growing in New zealand when I lived there.

Gorse seeds can stay dorment for over 20 years,picture below shows a bee collecting pollen in her pollen baskets from Gorse.

56736092.image0002.jpg

Great photo- answers my questions as to whether mine are bringing gorse in- yes! Mass flying today after the cold spell and up clearing out the fondant. I'll have to top it up just to be safe.

Nice one Admin
I was going to say do they like gorse, walking in the new forest last weekend, oodles of gorse in flower, warm sunshine, not a single bee seen, i was quite concerned by the absence. perhaps its not fully flowering yet?, or is there a trigger which sets them off?.

Depends on how near the hives are to the gorse,did you see many hives in the new forest.Also dandelion is now in flower, among other things,which they would prefer.

Last edited:
i was thinking feral, if there are any left.

When gorse secreets nectar there is a very distinct scent too.

PH

Last edited:
Plants that secrete nectar do so at varying times of the day. Some types of plants will fully open up and let the nectar be accessible to insects that need the nectar. Other plants will shut if there is no sun.
Bees feeding on a morning supply of nectar will quickly change to another source of supply once the flower head closes, and they will quickly find another source to feed on. I am not sure about any plants that secrete nectar all day long, I'll have to find out about that.

More information to file in file 13.

Regards;

Goodness, so much to learn.
its not just about the bees, reading nature itself is probably a greater skill, and one which can be utilised.

Latest posts

Back