Dadant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in my jumbo langstroth with hoffman frames even when the full ten MD are used there is a still a gap at the end which necessitates a dummy board.

I might be right in thinking that Jumbo Langstroth are spaced narrower than MD. So if your brood box contained MD fames and not Jumbo Langstroth there might not be that gap.

I am using wired foundation, but without the horizontals - that must be the trick I missed...

It would seem to be less than cost effective to use pre-wired foundation and to then add your own wires to the frame. Why not just wire the frame correctly and save on the cost of buying pre-wired?

For several years now (9 or 10 at least) I've actually been using unwired Commercial (16X10) foundation in MD brood frames and find that the bees pull it out to the sides and bottom perfectly well. I started doing this after reading an article which Alec Gale had written in his short run bee magazine from the 30's (just 19 issues) in which he advocated trimming standard foundation down so as to purposely leave a gap all the way around; he thought that he got better combs built that way.

Dadant is spaced at inch and a half. You can get National brood frames spaced at inch and a half as well.

Quite right, so...

in my jumbo langstroth with hoffman frames even when the full ten MD are used there is a still a gap at the end which necessitates a dummy board.

I imagine that you are using Langstroth Jumbo frames as I can't see how ten MD frames (the difference being in the spacing; Charles Dadant -designer of the MD hive, was an advocate of the one and a half inch spacing) when used in a 'Jumbo' could possibly require the use of a dummy at any time.

Latest posts

Back