Dadant hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have recently aquired a number of dadant hives and dadant nucs and am looking for peoples both opinions good and bad about them.

My hives are all currently national and I am wanting to decide prior to next spring whether to sell them and purchase more nationals or keep them and have 1 apiary dadant hives and the others nationals.

Cheers

** Nationals are currently set up with 14x12 brood boxes

Last edited:
I think it is always good to try new hive system but the leap from National to Dadant will be challenging , better for the bees in a larger hive.

I use Langstroth and the temperament in them is better often that in the National, it maybe a top and bottom bee space issue or just all that extra space, good luck, I would love to know how you get on (y)

We use modified dadant and find them to be good hives but they're probably not to everyone's liking and that's what it comes down to I think, so you'll only really get an idea over time, using them yourself /but if after fair trial they don't fit your longterm plans please feel welcome to send me a private message!!

We also use a bs box on the same footprint as the dadant, takes 13 frames (our original ones came from Manley's operation. They were described in his books although he referred to them 12 frame boxes but it's important to remember that he was using the old one and half inch spacing). Very useful boxes but you won't buy them off the shelf, it's a case of order them special or make them yourself.

Screenshot_20210816_154931.jpg

Last edited:
We use modified dadant and find them to be good hives but they're probably not to everyone's liking and that's what it comes down to I think, so you'll only really get an idea over time, using them yourself /but if after fair trial they don't fit your longterm plans please feel welcome to send me a private message!!

We also use a bs box on the same footprint as the dadant, takes 13 frames (our original ones came from Manley's operation. They were described in his books although he referred to them 12 frame boxes but it's important to remember that he was using the old one and half inch spacing). Very useful boxes but you won't buy them off the shelf, it's a case of order them special or make them yourself.

View attachment 27946

Lovely photo!I fancy a dadant myself ! Do you notice any difference with regards to swarming urge compared to national?

I find the Dadant a little big for myself but I do like Langstorth deep for a brood box, the extra space in the brood is just right I feel and that nationals are generally to small and require some extra management.

But I really don't like 14x12 frames they are just to deep.

Langstroth and Dadant frames are better if you wire them, I am not talking about frames with twin bottom bars though go for something thats more solid then you can get some tension on the wire without the frame distorting to much.

Back