Dadant blatt frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Apart from nothing fitting these frames being on sale here are there any other draw backs to using them? Will they fit most honey extractors?
I make my own hives so the size is not a problem for me. Wax i could cut a starter strip in or cut a dadant sheet to size.
The reason i ask is i bought some to see what they are like and at the cost i get them for it seems worth while for what i have in mind.
thoughts please.
WB

Thanks for the replies . looks like i might as well give it ago.
Cheers
WB

I used Dadants for a couple of years.

At the time I was using pre wired foundation and I do not recommend it. It makes the large area of the brood frame bow slightly. Then when drawn out quite a few any will not be flat.(interchange problems).

On the other hand If you were to wire them horizontally yourself they should be fine.

Now I use the Dadant super frame AKA Langstroth medium Throughout all my hives.

I am also switching to foundation less frames with wooden starter strip painted with chemical free wax.

Another factor was that all my existing equipment (cedar boxes) could be cut down to size and also used.

Oh and I'm about 90% poly now too. :D

Assuming they are similar to MD deep, then it is not difficult to use wired foundation and add 2 extra horizontal wires yourself. It stops the bowing of the foundation.

I guess you'll need a big extractor to take these.

I think any extractor that takes shallow M Dadant will take blatts as the ones i have are smaller in Depth and width than the MD. The frames also have holes in for the wires.

regards WB

Back