Cycling?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bought a touring bike to try and get fit. Biggest ride so far was only 16 miles, which seemed a long way (lot of hills around here) but "serious" bikers can do that before breakfast.

LOL Queens.. err..... NO.

Rooftops? My first ride was 4 miles and killed me. Just take your time and build up slowly increasing a few miles at a time.

MY wife is getting a bit more serious about her cycling having made the mistake of taking her to see Mercian's shop in Derby... cor some beautiful machines in there.

She went and bought shimano shoes and cleats yesterday and today has pretty much got to grips with them so a huge step forward.

We are off to get her bike serviced then off out on the tandem. :) Tandems are massive fun.

PH

Tandems are massive . . . full stop.

Cleats can be fun too, for spectators.
A goodly few years ago I remember watching a US Navy officer returning home on his drop handlebarred racing cycle. He pulled up outside the bay window with his brief case on a carrier on the back. Seeing his wife and guests through the window he gave us all a wave and the distraction was sufficient to delay the release of his feet from the cleats before bicycle and rider toppled ungraciously over into the flower bed. No harm done, but very funny from a spectator's point of view.

I read of a similar incident but the landing was softer... in the canal....LOL

And as for massive yes. Ours is a Dawes and weighs a ton but hey it makes me appreciate the road bike all the more after her... mind you the weight is great for getting fitter.

PH

Last edited:
Used to do a lot more cycling than I do these days, but trying to get back into it now to get fit again.
I have two bikes at the mo, a hugely overweight carrera mountain bike thats great fun to just go everywhere on, and I have an ancient Quinn's road bike that I had made for me about 15 years ago, the shimano groupset thats on it was cutting edge back then but now looks like something from a museum. I'm thinking of upgrading to either the 105 or Tiagre groupset....dont think I can justify an Ultegra :(

Having said that though Rach has asked why don't I go and have a look at a Boardman team carbon bike instead of upgrading my old one....but I like my old road bike....so we'll see.

For the amount of miles I do I dont know wether I can justify it, having said that though...sod it...as long as you enjoy riding it....it would be worth it :coolgleamA:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team_carbon.html

I do a few trips of around 10-15 miles each way at the moment with short trips to the allotment whenever the chance arises, and now my lads like to ride I'm getting out more with them too. Just need to get Rach more involved now....you notice a hell of a lot more in the World around you when you're out on your bike

Am impressed with anyone who has a tandem and isn't divorced as a result! We hired one on holiday in Korea once (it was way too small for us, predictably enough!) I hate being at the back (so wobbly!) as does OH (it's too girly, sitting on the back!) so....:boxing_smiley:
However I like poddling about on quiet, flat roads and am pretty fortunate with where we live for good cycle routes.

Expect you can transport polyhives on a tricycle quite safely:biggrinjester:. Balance up the eco a bit ;).

We do a bit, now and again, but not round here. Too many lunatic young drivers mostly. Been after a tandem to take smallest child (nearly 9 but tall) as she's a bit headstrong and apt not to listen to instructions :banghead:.

They look ace fun, but... is it not pretty intimidating being so close to vehicle wheels? OK, maybe am just a big wuss.....

Not for me either I like the view a bike gives but each to their own.

PH

I find that vehicles give me more room than when I'm perched on a conventional machine, a small dayglo flag on a tall 4mm diameter glassfibre pole fixed to the seat helps in busy traffic.

Speed wise on the flat even I can hit 25mph and average 15mph over long distances and the view of the countryside isn't that much different to that from an upright. Climbing is however a bit worse as you can't stand on the pedals but if you go down the hills really quick you get up the other side a lot easier and overall progress is close to uprights.

Comfort is streets ahead of any upright, no more back pains, or shoulder pains or neck pain, or numb hands or numb nuts. Pedalling lying down uses slightly different muscle groups to an upright though so getting the best out of them takes time but this also means moving back to an upright isn't easy especially as they seem very high up but many riders wouldn't want to return to an upright as recumbents are addictive.

Visibility to the rear is worse as you can't easily glance behind even when stood still, so mirrors are useful if not essential, but most of the time you can be moving at about the speed of the surrounding traffic so it's not as bad as it sounds. Brakes and cornering are out of this world. (see the video below!)

The Lands End John O'Groats solo cycling record is held by a Windcheetah, a fully faired version at a smidgen over 41 hours, an average of about 20mph...and a peak of 70+ mph :D

The UCI banned recumbents in the 1930's which is as big an endorsement as you're ever going to get. Mike Burrows is a genius of an engineer, he's going faster now than he did 40 years ago, he admits the 'engine' is worse, the machines he produces are better.

This is a link to the video that has a long standing broken link at the Windcheetah site showing the ultimate cornering if you are very brave.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxBkHGaOPg[/ame]

and this is Adam Hart-Davis, another Windcheetah owner showing his 'modified' version

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAeyoSI81bo[/ame]

When I used to commute to work I used to cycle to the station from home to save on bus fares. Now I have my bus pass the cash motivation just isn't there and I don't need to take any more exercise. The dogs and allotment take care of that.
However I do rather have a hankering after a tricycle with a trailer. Anyone know the best place to get one ?

I got stopped for speeding on my bike once..... it was downhill, and it was when I lived overseas, and I was fitter then....

We were liable the other day, doing 35 on the tandem in a 30 mph area.... tut

PH

when i get to work localy ( within 20 miles of home) i cycle to work every day no matter what the weather .

no cleats just a good quality touring bike. i average accross brum 15miles and hour commuting speeds.

and since every cyclist in brum uses the canels to travel along , yes i have also ended in the cut aswell, mid november and a sheet of ice

this years honey crop has just bought me this :hurray::hurray:

specialized-crosstrail-2010-mountain-bike.jpg

my commute across Bristol should be a bit easier on it :driving:

Latest posts

Back