Cutting wire mesh.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Cumbrian

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I have some stainless steel mesh from a company which deals in mesh (that should let you know the type without advertising) and I was wondering if any of you experienced/skilled/knowledgeable people could tell me they way you find easiest to cut it.

Thanks for any information.

Hubby uses tin snips for cutting the stainless steel mesh on plastering bead etc. Wear gloves though if you're cutting a sheet or it will look like you've been in a cat fight.
Ziggy

Angle grinder with a fine diamond disk?

I just mark it out with felt tip and cut using tin snips.
I bought mine at b and q - like a very large pair of scissors (on offer of course)

Kitchen Shears should do - at least the ones I have, do. I have some tin snips, but I use the shears for cutting mesh and for cutting printing plates for nuc roofs.

If you have tin snips or other shears hardened for metal cutting they are ideal. If you don't and only have a few bits of mesh, kitchen scissors will do the job. Get some cheap ones, don't let whoever is in charge of the kitchen catch you ruining the edge.

I use a guillotine, but sometimes it is just not worth the bother of getting it out and bolting down

I use tin snips: 20 years old.. never sharpened.. Easy.

Hubby uses tin snips for cutting the stainless steel mesh on plastering bead etc. Wear gloves though if you're cutting a sheet or it will look like you've been in a cat fight.
Ziggy

:iagree: just follow the line of the weave

Many thanks all for the replies. The mesh is now cut and I am unscathed.

as teemore says a pair of gilbos right handed and straight not curved perfect for the job

Best way to cut wire mesh and wire cloth hands down is to use Aviation Shears. (Wiss with the YELLOW handle are the best).

I called these guys, Belleville Wire Cloth - Cedar Grove, NJ , and they told me that is the best way to cut this material withouth tearing yourself to shreds.

Latest posts

Back