Cutting PIR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What is the best tool for cutting PIR? I know to be careful not to inhale the dust, but l can't seem to cut the stuff without making a lot of mess which is then difficult to clear up. I thought there was some advice on a previous thread but a search didn't find anything relevant - l probably didn't choose the right key words.

Table saw with dust extractor

Your always going to make dust cutting the stuff. For those without the full kit just use a fine cut hand saw.

I use a first fix hand saw, quick and easy, and with relatively large teeth you get minimal small particles.

I use a std 20/22pt handsaw, my old Dyson dc05 for cleaning up after.

If you have a lot to do then a plunge saw / circular saw - and as JBM says, defintely outside.

I have a couple more 'cosies' to knock together so that is what I will be doing this lunchtime. I find that a thick slab over the crownboard plus four slabs of PIR for the sides, held together with bamboo skewers, seems to work.
Hive insulation.jpg

If you have a lot of PIR to buy, then these chaps do pallet loads of rejects from Kingspan, Celotex etcetera: Seconds & Co Insulation - Nationwide Delivery - Based in Mid Wales

bread knife works a treat - no dust or small particles

Thank you all for your advice. Alas, Madasafish, l do not have access to a tabletop saw nor dust extractor! Something much more basic for my two garden hives. I was using a hacksaw and that really didn't work very well. I now have other options. Thanks again.

Thank you all for your advice. Alas, Madasafish, l do not have access to a tabletop saw nor dust extractor! Something much more basic for my two garden hives. I was using a hacksaw and that really didn't work very well. I now have other options. Thanks again.
For straight cuts just use sharp stanley knife with a straight edge for guidance. Cut as deep as the blade will allow - then snap the board on the point of the cut ... it will snap clean down to the facing foil on the other side - then just run the knife along the foil on that side ... easy peasy. Circles and curves however ... bit more difficult - jigsaw with a mask and goggles.

For straight cuts just use sharp stanley knife with a straight edge for guidance. Cut as deep as the blade will allow - then snap the board on the point of the cut ... it will snap clean down to the facing foil on the other side - then just run the knife along the foil on that side ... easy peasy. Circles and curves however ... bit more difficult - jigsaw with a mask and goggles.
:iagree: same as if you were cutting plasterboard - I used to use my pocket knife though as I could cut deeper.

I find a hand saw gives a good straight vertical edge, especially with anything thicker than 2". Some of my top insulation is 4" with a pocket cut out for a takeaway container full of fondant.

Nice non vertical cut :cool:
Yes, if you look back at the picture in my previous post you will see that I put in a 15 degree chamfer along the top so that the rain runs off the outside of the PIR cladding, not inside onto the hive.

Some of us are lucky enough to own table saws, skill saws, plunge saws, guide rails and dust extractors yet for many a Stanley knife, straight edge and tape measure will do amply. For 50mm PIR I flip it over and repeat on the reverse and snap to leave a clean cut face. Job done.

Back