Cut comb.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thin foundation/ starters
Super over the brood or on top of stack?
I use thin foundation, never put the super over the brood as it will end up getting clogged with pollen. Don't put it on until there's a flow on

I did chunk honey once and never again. Cut comb by the 8oz box or whole frames. They go down well but have to be perfect.

I did chunk honey once and never again. Cut comb by the 8oz box or whole frames. They go down well but have to be perfect.
The chunk honey jars are more of a request by some local folk and as presents.
I've been talking about cut comb to a shop in ludlow but its getting the price right they were saying they get asked for it from time to time.

Does anyone here enjoy eating comb honey? I've never tried it

If you have gifted it to people what response did you get?

I always give them instructions
I like to eat mine on well buttered crusty bread with creamy goats cheese.

Isn't chunk honey useful for using up the offcuts from cut comb? I'm hoping to get some cut comb this year, and thought I'd be able to make up jars of the leftover bits of comb topped up with honey. Don't think I'd have a market for whole frames yet, but maybe in a few years...

For chunk honey to look good the comb has to be completely capped and fill the jar. Bits floating about look slapdash and untidy. Another real setback is that once the honey starts to crystallise it looks absolutely awful and you can’t melt it. So by all means make some but use a proper piece of comb and keep the jars in the freezer till sale. IMO

For chunk honey to look good the comb has to be completely capped and fill the jar. Bits floating about look slapdash and untidy. Another real setback is that once the honey starts to crystallise it looks absolutely awful and you can’t melt it. So by all means make some but use a proper piece of comb and keep the jars in the freezer till sale. IMO
Thanks. Don't think the crystallisation would be a problem for me. My honey barely has any grains in it 18 months on. I guess I'll just have to see what comb I get first.

Thanks. Don't think the crystallisation would be a problem for me. My honey barely has any grains in it 18 months on. I guess I'll just have to see what comb I get first.
Put it in the freezer anyway. In jars is fine. The cut ends of the comb can work as a surface for granulation anyway.

Does anyone here enjoy eating comb honey?
Yes. And my mother loves it, if I take her a piece and she's sat down in the lounge she'll just sit there watching telly and picking away at it as if it were a box of chocolates

Last edited:
I total agree dani I've tried it with off cuts of comb there was bits floating around, if I was to jar loads up I would use some summer cut comb it tends to not crystalize so quickly and use the freezer as you suggested. On a small scale made to order almost or when it's available in the season I let people know a week or two before I jar it. @Boston Bees response to folk buying it is they say its like eating expensive chewing gum.. So joking really! its mainly the older generation that like it imo.
there is something quite special about warm toast and comb honey being smothered on it if your like me I like cream on mine also with a sprinkle of pollen making it into a pudding almost.
My taste buds are varied I meen I like buttered toast dipped in a cup of tea with honey in. :ROFLMAO:

I do quite a lot of cut comb, although selling it is through markets not through my usual outlet. I can on a good comb get 5 cut comb out of one frame, say £7 a pack that is £35 given a super has 3 of honey in it then I get £24 for it so a reasonable uplift in margin and profit and no jar costs. The pieces left over are not big enough for chunk jars so i tend to put them together and use them as friends and family comb boxes or for myself as i love it.

Super Frame
OK thanks, it's not important anyway, I was just curious having read your post as to how you could only be getting £24 per super when you're selling a frame as 5x cuts @£7. Just couldn't work out where the £24 figure came from.

OK thanks, it's not important anyway, I was just curious having read your post as to how you could only be getting £24 per super when you're selling a frame as 5x cuts @£7. Just couldn't work out where the £24 figure came from.
sorry yes, a Good frame gives me 5 blocks, medium one 4. so yes at £7 a block that is £35 and £28. Given 3 pounds of honey to a frame, i sell at £8 a lb that gives £24. So at 5 blocks it is definitely worth it.

Latest posts

Back