Cut comb query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
Apologies for this simple question but

(BTW nothing in Hooper or De Brun)

The cutting procedure

1. Place the frame on ? bread board / stainless tray? or what is best?
2. Cut out in one piece all the comb
3. Cut out the 8oz chunks with cutter

Is this correct or is it easier to cut 8oz pieces straight out of the frame?

I don't want to waste any so I may as well use the correct method.

Also, do you need to wrap the pieces in cellophane before you place them in the cartons or is this unnecessary.

Thanks in advance
Peter

I do this.

I place the comb best side up on a fibreglass tray which is more than big enough to hold the frame.

I put the plywood template which I made by drawing round the container then coming in by 3mm, on the comb. Using a sharp knife I cut round it.

Using a spatula I pick up the comb and land it in the CC container.

I weigh it to ensure it is well over the min weight of 227gms on my label.

I sellotape the lid on.

I found the cutter many years ago to be utterly useless, and no doubt in the mean time they are now utterly fantastic, but some how I "hae ma doots ya ken" I do know for a fact a sharp knife works very well indeed. ;)

It is a sticky slow business, but fun too. Enjoy.

PH

I found the cutter many years ago to be utterly useless, and no doubt in the mean time they are now utterly fantastic, but some how I "hae ma doots ya ken" I do know for a fact a sharp knife works very well indeed. ;)

PH

Brought my colony back from the heather yesterday

Used my 8 oz cut comb cutter this evening and on about the 4th cut it buckled going through the midrib:cuss:

Dismantled it and used it as a template to cut out rectangles with a sharpe knife. So much easier.

Now have a stack of 19 cut comb sections good enough to sell and a similar amount which was partially capped, irregular etc which will do for my personal use.

:party:

This is going to sound like a daft question, but.

If I buy cut comb, what do I do with it, suck the honey out, chew the comb, or what?

This is going to sound like a daft question, but.

If I buy cut comb, what do I do with it, suck the honey out, chew the comb, or what?

Best thing in my opinion is to suck it - there are so many esters and volatile flavours still encapsulated in the sealed comb, it's just gorgeous. Then spit the gobbet of wax out, to be put in the wax extractor.

Lots of customers tell me hot toast is good - the wax in the cut comb is so thin that it melts and you can eat the lot. Very good for you.

A very common question which in a way is sad as we seem to have drifted so far from most natural foods.

Honey comb is consumed in it's entirety. When quizzed on that I say, "Beeswax is a natural lubricant" and wink... it works a treat....LOL

PH

Thanks folks, I did hear it was a quality product, much sought after by aficianados of honey, just wondered why.

Looks like my idea of a tbh next will have a useful spin off.

I did a bit of cut comb this year as an experiment, and I'm not entirely sure I will bother again. I've been astonished by the number of people saying 'what do you do with it?', and I've only sold one tub; also it's a bit of a faff as each piece has to look beautiful and clean etc. Chunk honey seems a lot easier- you don't have to cut a perfect weight, and it doesn't matter if you get a bit of honey on it- and more popular.

Personally I love the stuff- squish it onto toast and eat the lot. :)

Query no. 2

Anyone have the weight of an empty 8 oz cut comb container + lid to hand please?
In my packaging haste I forgot to put one aside to weigh empty so that I can put the net weight on the carton.

Looking at the carton, it makes health claims about cut comb honey which is definitely against EU rules!

also it's a bit of a faff as each piece has to look beautiful and clean etc

Extracting, warming, filtering, blending/creaming, bottling is also a faff though?

I took care with the cutting and the lids are clean but the pieces are not geometrically perfect. The cardboard carton conceals the edges of the comb and I thought it was more important that the piece of comb filled the container rather than rattling around. The honey is mainly heather honey so is fairly thixotropic so there hasn't been much seepage from the cut cells which I should think helps.

Many thanks

Latest posts

Back