Cut comb honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4degreesWest

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
My cousin has asked me for some comb honey. Is it just a case of cutting a piece out of what I’ve got (trying not to include the wire in the foundation) or do I need to start again with special foundation, or no foundation at all?

the best is to start with no foundation and just a starter strip, second use thin unwired foundation trying to just cut around the wires is not really a good idea.
bit late in the season to start from foundation this year - unless you have bees to the heather

I usually leave some empty frames without any wax frame and the bees build the comb and it will not have any wire.
Sometimes if I find a brace comb, I tie it to an empty frame with a wire then the bees build the rest.

start again with special foundation
AS JBM suggested, use ultra-thin cut comb foundation (code 03 at KBS) which if used as starter strips on a strong flow will mean that most of what the customer eats is pure.

The National Bee Supplies CC foundation is sourced from an area of Ethiopia free from contaminants, but NBS make it about three times as thick as it need be, and would be way too chewy.

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll experiment and see what works. I ate some brace comb and it wasn’t really for me but I’m assuming that there are people out there who like it!

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll experiment and see what works. I ate some brace comb and it wasn’t really for me but I’m assuming that there are people out there who like it!
I love comb try it on decent bit of granary

the best is to start with no foundation and just a starter strip, second use thin unwired foundation trying to just cut around the wires is not really a good idea.
bit late in the season to start from foundation this year - unless you have bees to the heather

Next year I'm going to put a couple of frames with no foundation in each super. I left a large space between two frames and they've filled it beautifully, you'd think it had an invisible frame around it.

Next year I'm going to put a couple of frames with no foundation in each super. I left a large space between two frames and they've filled it beautifully, you'd think it had an invisible frame around it.
like this you mean?

fb.jpg

Latest posts

Back