Cut comb baking recipes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As per the title, any recipes for using cut comb honey in baking please.

It's the stuff below retail quality that I want to cook with, not the good stuff!

Cereal bars

1:1 ratio muesli:cut comb (chopped roughly)
place in food processor and briefly blitz together.
scrape out into cake tin and place weighted tray on top.
put in fridge. once set cut into manageable bars.
yum.

(NOTE just made up off top of head - no idea what end result will be like!)

That would be, baking with wax and honey? It wouldn't last long as cut comb, although a baked Alaska with a small portions of cut comb strategically placed in the ice cream might be a novel idea. It does at least have the merit of fitting your question about baking with cut comb, sorry it's not a recipe per se, but see Baked Alaska for that.

I suspect that if you embedded cut comb in a cake, that it would melt, leaving you a puddle of wax while the honey would bleed out. Heston Blumenthal would probably have a unique take on the problem though.

what i had in mind was a cake recipe where you normally cream the butter and sugar but replace the sugar with cut comb honey. Would possibly work in a food processor as the wax would get broken up into very small pieces and would melt when cooked.

Wax in a food processor? It would be interesting to see how much stays in the processor and if can be cleaned off!

Mike.

Wax in a food processor? It would be interesting to see how much stays in the processor and if can be cleaned off!

Mike.

Thanks!

I knew there was a reason why google drew a blank.

Reminds me of a colleague's parents who tried to clean their plastic super frames with drawn foundation into the dishwasher hot cycle to clean them...........

Tried some tonight in a baked apple with some blackberries; highly recommended.
Not only the result but also having a kitchen full of the aromas of warm heather honey.:cheers2:

Ive used comb honey in cakes. You have to melt the honey gently and then do an all in one method. I made a delicious one using yoghurt, blueberries and honey. It looked quite sloppy in the loaf tin I baked it in but the result was light and moist. Use self raising flour with a tsp of extra baking powder. Only use 2 thirds of weight of comb honey, and the fat but otherwise use the weight of the eggs to equal the flour. I just blobbed the yoghurt in probably a couple of tbsps and I used frozen blueberries, just what felt right. I have also made a ginger cake using cut comb honey too. The wax just disappears into the cake.

low fat comb honey muffins

the beeswax replaces the fats normally used in muffins. As we do not have the appropriate enzymes to digest beeswax, it does not provide any calorific input.
200g comb honey
160g flour
2 eggs
1 apple finely chopped
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinamon.
blend comb honey and eggs in a food processor until smooth. pour into a bowl. Add flour, cinnamon and baking powder to mixture. Combine lightly, do not beat or mix vigorously. Add chopped apple and mix gently. Half fill greased muffin tins and bake for 20 mins at 185 deg C, 365deg F.bee-smilliebee-smillie

Latest posts

Back