Cuprinol

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynorton

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was sorting out my nuc box yesterday, and decided to give it a couple of coats of Cuprinol.
My bees are located on top of a flat garage roof. I've not had any problems with bees being aggressive in the garden before, but they seemed to really object to the Cuprinol. There was a gentle breeze carrying the smell towards the hives. I was dive bombed by quite a few bees from a distance of 30-40 feet from the entrance before I realised what the problem was, and retired to a safe distance!
I'm sure I read about this somewhere on the internet before, but couldn't find anything on this forum, or google.
Anyone else noticed that Cuprinol seems to really irritate the bees?
The 2nd coat was applied from the very end of the garden!

How long did you leave vacant after treatment. I treat empty, leave for 2 weeks, then use. Never had a problem. And I think there is only one type of Cuprinol you can safely use - see other post on this forum.

Garden Wood Preserver RED CEDAR-

Last edited:
How long did you leave vacant after treatment. I treat empty, leave for 2 weeks, then use. Never had a problem. And I think there is only one type of Cuprinol you can safely use - see other post on this forum.

Garden Wood Preserver RED CEDAR-

The Nuc box wasn't occupied, I was just treating it near my other hives. 30-40 feet away.
The Cuprinol was the one Thornes sell - Cuprinol Clear I think its called.

Last edited:
I painted my hives with cuprinol, bees didn't mind, just kept doing what they did.. no problems noticed.

We use Cuprinol Clear, which our local BKA say is the only safe wood preserver. It doesn't bother the bees.

Some Cuprinol products are marked R57 Toxic to Bees

Yep, I checked with the store - the red cedar is the only locally stocked one that IS bee friendly- otherwise its Thornes.

Heather, any more info on what I am to look out for ?
I have 16 boxes to paint and would like to try the Cuprinol red Cedar,its just that everytime I go to B+Q I get overwealmed with all the products Cuprinol sell.

The latest info on the Cuprinol web site is that they can no longer advise the use of any of their products, as the new formulation has not yet been tested. My local hive maker rang them in January 2011 and they admitted they have not yet commissioned any tests, so don't hold your breath.

Back