Crystallised supers - what to do.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splodge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Did first inspection all coming on well. As an aside it is March isnt, not May?
Anway a lot of my supers still have crystallised honey, they are very heavy compared to other empty drawn supers.

What are the options?

1. Melt down start again.
2. Spray each well with water and put back on, for them to clean.
3. Or just use them and loose storage capacity.

Any help would be appreciated. Nor had this problem before, as last year was first Osr harvest.

Thanks all

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

Are they on the hives or off them? If they are on the hives leave them there, uncap and spin as usual later in the year and give them back to the bees, they will move them and all will be fine unless they OSR. If they are off the hives why did you not spin them out?
E

Hi Enrico.

They are off the hives, its what was spun out last year.
Just not until I went through them this year I realised how heavy/full they are, compared to empty/not crystallised drawn frames.

Could well be OSR, from last year.

I also ended up with several supers with either partially filled frames or frames containing crystallised honey.

Sorted all the frames that were not empty in supers and have put some of these back on hives that were short of stores. The bees should clean out the frames and have enough stores.

That's my theory.

*I should say that the colonies that have had a super added are pretty strong so should be able to cope with the increased hive volume size.

As the others, use normally, the bees will sort them, for some reason when bees move crystallised stores they seem to not be as crystallised the second time round! Hope that makes sense!
E

Thanks all. Will get a super on each of the strong hives then.

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

Back