Cruel or compulsory

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
It is interesting to note the differences in how many of us view bees and how we treat them, many practices and methods which are deemed essential for the greater good of the colony by some are also frowned upon by others.

I was just wondering what our forums views were and how each individual will react if we probe this question further.

I seem to remember a post on the "Dark Side", (admittedly i did not read thoroughly so please correct me if i am wrong) but a number of hives or nucs were set fire to with bees still inside, over a dispute, (nothing to do with AFB), i just remember thinking "WHY".

Do you have a heart attack or not even notice when you hear a nice crunch as the crown board goes back on ??

Any Comments

Ooooops Sorry just Noticed - Im a House Bee - Whooooo Whooooo Yeaaah

Do we get a Certificate ?? like on Ebay - lol

Hi Sweetums,i also read about the burning of the hives/nucs,and am not convinced there were bee's in them,more a bit of publicity,while getting rid of some rubbish equipment.But if we suppose for argument sake there were bee's in them,or in any other cases,then i would find it totally wrong and cruel,and no need or excuse for it.Also the same to me would apply to bee's starving,or being left infested with varroa while we are supposed to be looking after them. As for a heart attack when you squash a bee under the crown board,no,as all beekeepers would of died long ago from heart failure and there would not be any beekeeping.I and i'm sure most are as careful as they can be with manipulations,we all want live healthy bee's,not dead one's.But this is going to happen no matter what.You could go to some kind of extreme here and worry about walking on the land because you stand on an ant or beetle or earthworm,you may roll over in bed and crush a dust mite.Well thats my oppinion,no need to be cruel,be as careful as you can,no one can do more than this.

Ooooops Sorry just Noticed - Im a House Bee - Whooooo Whooooo Yeaaah

Do we get a Certificate ?? like on Ebay - lol

You get the little bee pic for 50 posts.

Regards the Bee burning,I think that was Mike being a publicity tart..

I can shake bees on the snow and they die there. Nothing personal against bees.

I can be cruel against them because they try to be against me. No problem.

Sweetums, you've opened up a can of worms with this one! Ha ha!

Im one of the ones that has a heart attack if I hear/feel the crunch of a Bee being squashed.

But, I think, thats me. Im very sensitive to things like that. In fact, Ive just upset another Forum, cos they are bemoaning the weather and how it affects homeless people, and I replied that my thoughts and heart goes out to the wildlife!
So, maybe Im just a sensitive soul when it comes to creatures.

Think I might have gone off on one in the afore mentioned thread over on the 'dark side'!!!

I was upset when I saw Mike's bonfire because you could clearly see frames of brood being put into the flames... and in the commentary they talked of killing baby bees....

but then I thought; if you were burning whole hives you wouldn't bother taking a frame out, waving it in front of the camera and putting it on the bonfire would you??

It was a publicity stunt I thought too.

Mike is taking orders already for next year so he must of saved some nucs.

Mike knows exactly what he's doing,and its not burning bee's.

Back