Crocus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50 National expanding to 100 +
Planted a lot of crocus bulbs a couple of years back at one of my sites. This year they were just about ready to flower but today they have been completely chewed back to ground level.
Have read it could be squirrels, There is two large clumps of snowdrops unaffected.
Anyone had this problem?

Strange?
I have a whole apiary full of crocus in flower and they remain unmolested.
Have you heard anybody with a lawnmower? ;)

Never happened to me but I believe gray squirrels (north American tree rats) have a liking to them. If you kill the culprit send me his tail, they make great fly dressing material

Planted about a hundred at one site last year not a single one has come up :( others I have planted are coming up but not great looking plants.

Planted about a hundred at one site last year not a single one has come up :( others I have planted are coming up but not great looking plants.

I always plant 3 bulbs together, never had a problem with them coming through, I no snowdrops are extremely difficult to grow from bulbs, yu have to split mature plants to get best results, as Redwood says I thinks it's the gray rats from America

I always plant 3 bulbs together, never had a problem with them coming through, I no snowdrops are extremely difficult to grow from bulbs, yu have to split mature plants to get best results, as Redwood says I thinks it's the gray rats from America

I was thinking some thing may have eaten them but would have expected some soil disturbance, unless they are that cleaver :) perhaps my mistake poor bulbs and a supermarket special?

Yes they are more common seen them a few times at Watford Casio Park.
Reminds me it's been a few years since I have stayed there must try and make the effort this year.

Grey squirrels dig up and eat and the bulbs not the leaves and flowers.
Deer (Muntjac and Roe) in my garden, eat all the plant above ground but do not dig up the bulbs.
Also, House Sparrows will eat the anthers with the pollen, leaving the flowers looking flattened.
When planting, some people cover their crocus bulbs with chicken wire, soil and then turf to stop the squirrels.

I the apiary in question is secluded and fenced and walled off. it has to be small mammals or birds. Moles maybe ?

I can trap them easy.. ;)

I the apiary in question is secluded and fenced and walled off. it has to be small mammals or birds. Moles maybe ?

If the fencing was Chestnut paling it still could be Muntjac - they can get between the paling. Mice, Rats and voles will also eat the bulbs, just as they do with rows of Broad beans etc planted in allotments. I am told Pheasants like the bulbs too.
Rabbits will eat the leaves and flowers but no other suggestions I am afraid.

We all have our own views and values on nature me included, i will help any native animal or bird survive as much as i can, but and a big BUT the none indigenous Grey Squirrel is ruining our British countryside and urban garden wildlife, the Red squirrel is suffering badly and the ground aswell as tree nesting birds are also suffering, i will feed Red Squirrels all day long and photograph them but on the other hand i will Kill grey squirrels all day long, they do not belong here, they need eradicating..

I have strong beliefs on none indigenous vermin control and none of what i say is aimed or pointed at you Snelgrove, ;)

I have strong beliefs on none indigenous vermin control and none of what i say is aimed or pointed at you Snelgrove,-

:thanks:

Are they yellow crocus? I seem to remember my parents could never grow yellow crocus because of bird damage but purples and mauves were fine.

Latest posts

Back