Crocus sativus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they do grow in the Uk. My mum has them growing freely in her garden. Bees and pollinators like them. Not sure about harvesting the pollen though.

Evening does anyone grow these in the uk they flower in the autumn and you can harvest the stigma which is saffron.
Also are they useful for the bees and other polinators?
Thanks
C. G. F.
I thought you might have this in your Professional Gardener's encyclopædia but if you don't, here you are How To Grow Saffron

There were a number of commercial saffron farmers in the UK when I looked a few years ago. I had access to a patch of land that I thought might be suitable for saffron production, but this fell through. High value crop, but is labour intense especially at harvest time. Bulk supplies of bulbs were available from the Netherlands if you were thinking of adding saffron to your product list Mark ;)

Looking into it yes, among other things, trying to look at options for diversifying
Save your back ... plant a few crocus ... buy your Saffron in bulk from Spain or Iran and repack/rebrand it as Clee Hill Saffron ... we won't tell anyone !

Save your back ... plant a few crocus ... buy your Saffron in bulk from Spain or Iran and repack/rebrand it as Clee Hill Saffron ... we won't tell anyone !
No thanks, don't you know I like hard work :).

I can just see you and the family dotted about your crocus field picking scarlet stamens as each flower opens through September and October. Better than hay making eh?

I can just see you and the family dotted about your crocus field picking scarlet stamens as each flower opens through September and October. Better than hay making eh?
Yeah every morning..... each flower...... I've seen films of people doing it!!!!

SAFFRON WALDON! :D 😍💐

Latest posts

Back