Creating beeswax pellets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncav

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello all,
I've had a request to provide beeswax in pelleted form. Has anyone else out there already done this?

Is it possible to use the sort of pelleting machines used to create wood pellets for wood burners?

Thanks in advance

Is it possible to use the sort of pelleting machines used to create wood pellets for wood burners?

Mechanically, wax and wood are rather different ... so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

What quantity of wax are you hoping to pelletise?

For what use? An air rifle to shoot cats maybe!

Not meaning to be on the attack, but is not the sort of answer that is being criticised for on the other threads?

I am far from an expert, but I believe candle makers like pelletized wax as it is easier to melt with less risk of burning.

Just an (untried) idea ... what about a lead shot type process, dripping molten wax into cold water? (Soft, rain or at least pre-boiled water, naturally!)

I've been told that grating wax with a cheese grater gets it into a suitable state for candlemaking - haven't tried it myself though.

I've been told that grating wax with a cheese grater gets it into a suitable state for candlemaking - haven't tried it myself though.

Suspect it'd be a PITA to clean after but food processors have grater attachments...

Just an (untried) idea ... what about a lead shot type process, dripping molten wax into cold water? (Soft, rain or at least pre-boiled water, naturally!)

The wax would splash and leave a non uniform mass!, however a roll mill press for wood pellets could be made to work, but would need to rotate 10 times faster, and have the pressure adjusted so that there is barely any pressure at all.

I suspect you'd have to coat the wax in something tasty to get the owl to eat it in the first place.

I had the same idea as itma.

You could try pouring it through a colander held a fair height above a bowl of cold or iced water. The same principle as making spaetzle.

They used to make lead shot by dripping lead through a colander at a considerable height, down into a water bath inside shot towers - so I'd reckon you could do something not dissimilar with beeswax ?
(visions of beek with saucepan of molten wax precariously perched on top of ladder, aiming for a kiddies paddling pool ...) :)

LJ

Suspect it'd be a PITA to clean after but food processors have grater attachments...

I have grated wax with a cheesegrater.
Not expensive to get one "for the bees" from Wilkinsons.
But, having drawn blood (its not as easy to grate as cheese), I resolved that next time, it would be the old cracked bowl and a spare grater disc on the Magimix ...

/// but I suspect it would be useless for firing from an air pistol ...

Last edited:
plastic pellets for industry are made by extruding ,cooling, then chopping into pellets

is they anyway you could extrude warmed wax through a 1cm hole, let it could then chop it into1cmx1cm pellets?

Not meaning to be on the attack, but is not the sort of answer that is being criticised for on the other threads?

I am far from an expert, but I believe candle makers like pelletized wax as it is easier to melt with less risk of burning.

Thanks for explaining to me... I really didn't know! I will refrain from smiling in the future, I will join the sad world.
E

I had the same idea as itma.

You could try pouring it through a colander held a fair height above a bowl of cold or iced water. The same principle as making spaetzle.

It wont work! the Wax floats and does not get engulfed in the cooling water quick enough, so it splats and makes weird shapes, many of which will contain water and need drying, it might work if the water was whipped up into a bubbly frenzy.

Warm the wax and squish it through a Mr Potato Head :D

Putting a few drops of washing up liquid in water reduces the surface tension so may reduce the splatter effect?

Don't use wax pellets to shoot cats. You'll ruin your gun:spy:

First thing to ask: Is regularity of these pellets required size-wise? It may have some bearing on the process. A simple but more precise specification might help. Extrusion with a rotating chopper seems an obvious method but needs some setting up. Are we talking of the odd kilogram or somewhat larger production volumes?

RABBLE

It wont work! the Wax floats and does not get engulfed in the cooling water quick enough, so it splats and makes weird shapes, many of which will contain water and need drying, it might work if the water was whipped up into a bubbly frenzy.

Ah, so you've tried it. No matter, it was only an idea.

How about an old, clamp to the table mincer? Or warm, pliable wax in a 'strong' piping bag and then cut into chips...Only practical ways I can think of...

Latest posts

Back