pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
You say that but the pair I was wearing yesterday have L on one and R on the other... Probably for the simple minded like me!
Well, in a case like that would have to find someone with the opposite leg missing and sell them the spare sock ...

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
Strange - where I come from socks are always sold in pairs (which is a bit of a pain if you only have one leg)
Surely you mean one foot? We tend to wear shorts or trousers on legs round here, although also sold in pairs!

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
Well, in a case like that would have to find someone with the opposite leg missing and sell them the spare sock ...

Are you part Scot?

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ahh ... you've noticed... my ancestors came down with Bonnie Prince Charlie in the '45 and stuck around to plunder the unsuspecting English when he turned tail ....

Hedgerow Honey 

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
Fritz may well be the better machine but it also takes a lot more honey than I have and costs x4 more. Not really useful.
What I did was buy a Abelo machine, then being a welder, had a local company produce the screw in four sections, similar to the fritz, which I then welded to the shaft, probably saved around £1000.

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Has anyone experience of this: Honey Creaming Machine 33L - Welcome to Abelo's Beekeeping Supplies and does it come with the tank or is that an extra?

PH
Yes I have this machine.
I put the honey in my warming cabinet to melt any crystals,
Allow it to cool,
Add the seed honey.
Switch the machine on,
And leave it alone.
Every hour it gently stirs the honey (not fast), for 15 minutes.
48 hours later I check it, by which time it is usually ready.
I then leave it to stand an hour.
Then it's a case of pouring it into jars or honey buckets.

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
In general I have found that people short of a leg don't have a foot on that side either
Depends where the amputation was. They could have about a foot of leg remaining...

Etton 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Did the socks come with the drill?
‘To seed or not to seed... that is the question!’ I always seed (10%) after warming concrete rape honey to 35+ then immediately cooling to <14c for a few days, then warming to 35c and jarring. Am I wasting my time seeding?

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
‘To seed or not to seed... that is the question!’ I always seed (10%) after warming concrete rape honey to 35+ then immediately cooling to <14c for a few days, then warming to 35c and jarring. Am I wasting my time seeding?
I don't and the guy who taught me to do it that way doesn't and haven't had any issues. Neither they nor I rapidly cool to 14C either and the honey seems alright (rather nice in fact 😁).

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Your wasting your time seeding if your using osr. I’ll extract and filter osr then leave in buckets to set. You can skim froth once buckets are settled, or leave to set, I find leaving to set in buckets first helps reduce frosting. When needed buckets are melted to double cream consistency. So your retaining a lot of crystals, although very small. This is put into bottling tank and any other honey added if your bulking up. This is stirred as often or little as you like over a number of days until it starts to thicken. Then just bottle! So much the same as Wilco.

Etton 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Your wasting your time seeding if your using osr. I’ll extract and filter osr then leave in buckets to set. You can skim froth once buckets are settled, or leave to set, I find leaving to set in buckets first helps reduce frosting. When needed buckets are melted to double cream consistency. So your retaining a lot of crystals, although very small. This is put into bottling tank and any other honey added if your bulking up. This is stirred as often or little as you like over a number of days until it starts to thicken. Then just bottle! So much the same as Wilco.
‘When needed buckets are melted to double cream consistency’ ... to what temp do you melt?

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
‘When needed buckets are melted to double cream consistency’ ... to what temp do you melt?
I wouldn't aim to go above 39C personally.

Patrick1 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Description suggests it comes with the bucket. I take it a drill with a paddle mixer isn't your style?
The drill is the simplest, I would suggest putting the drill in a plastic bag, caution overheating, advantages no oil or fillings dropping, Just a caution.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
The Chuck causing damage on any painted/plated whisk is also prone to paint flakes if your buying non stainless. As to temp I think your looking for 40c drills paddles break up lumps so allow lower temps to be used. Also bring any buckets up to room temp before any heating if possible, maybe not so important for warming cabinets. But with water baths it saves higher temps!

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
The drill is the simplest, I would suggest putting the drill in a plastic bag, caution overheating, advantages no oil or fillings dropping, Just a caution.
Yes, I put a few tea towels over the bucket held together with clothes pegs to give a central hole, should have mentioned that. The drill was my grandpa's and don't want to risk blocking the air flow around the motor!

Latest posts