Creaming Machine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
I have finally bit the bullet and bought a honey creamer (Konigin), I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on temperature setting and the ratio of seed honey to runny honey. Its a 50kg heater one.

About one part seed (set) to seven or eight parts runny honey. Best to do a small test first.

regarding temperatures, once the seed is back to runny, work away.

Have fun!

Fred.

10:1 is the standard ratio but you can quite quickly work up smaller batches.

Eg. Take 0.5kg seed and 5Kg runny and mix.

You then have 5.5kg seed and you can add 44.5kg runny to make a full batch. Just takes longer as you go through two cycles.

We dont use any heat whilst creaming. Dont think its needed.

We keep the speed function on the lowest possible setting at all times. Can easily become whipped if not careful

Only good use for Yates is for stopping the desk from wobbling.
I use 10:1, doing a batch as we speak, and get great results (the National Honey Show judges thought so too)

Beekeeping Study Notes (J.D. & B.D. Yates ) say 10% seed honey, giving 9:1

Fred.
You've gone from 1:7 to 1:8 now 1:9

Any advances? ;)

Honestly, the ratio doesnt make a huge difference other that impacting the speed in which the seed crystals spread throughout the runny honey.

50:50 works fine and is much quicker.

I run a 100ltr version which is 300lb. Once filled with soft set I connect direct to the jarring machine and decant into jars until it reaches the honey gate. This leaves about 10% (ish) in the base of the creaming machine to use as a seed for next time.

1:7 and 1:8 was from memory but having checked with Yates, they go for 9:1

So my 1:8 is as close to Yates as your 1:10.

Only difference will be the degree of 'soft set.'

And BTW, I did suggest a test run first.

Jeez!

<Only good use for Yates is for stopping the desk from wobblin>

OMG; such ignorance!

Jenkin... Did you delete your stupid comment?

I have finally bit the bullet and bought a honey creamer (Konigin), I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on temperature setting and the ratio of seed honey to runny honey. Its a 50kg heater one.
I bought a Lyson creamer from Abelo a couple of months ago. I've done two batches of 50 lbs so far both with excellent results. I used my usual ratio of 1 : 25, no heat on the 48 hr setting with low rotation (15min every hr). The amount of seed used is not critical. The more seed you use the faster the end result.

The Lyson has a number of heat setting modes programmed into the machine. Can't get my head around them and really don't see the point for general use.

Unlike a warming cabinet it has taken me some trial and error to get a good clear honey. 45c for 24 hrs seemed to work well. Any other suggestions welcome.

Colin

I bought a Lyson creamer from Abelo a couple of months ago. I've done two batches of 50 lbs so far both with excellent results. I used my usual ratio of 1 : 25, no heat on the 48 hr setting with low rotation (15min every hr). The amount of seed used is not critical. The more seed you use the faster the end result.

The Lyson has a number of heat setting modes programmed into the machine. Can't get my head around them and really don't see the point for general use.

Unlike a warming cabinet it has taken me some trial and error to get a good clear honey. 45c for 24 hrs seemed to work well. Any other suggestions welcome.

Colin
Thank you for your reply, as for the warming cabinet, I find my best result are when I set it to 42C for 24 hours.

Latest posts

Back