creamed honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i thought i would have a go at making some creamed honey this year but i can not find any in the shops around me does any one know or recommend ware i could get some creamed honey for me to use as the seed crystals i can only find one on the internet that was on the Amazon site.

There's plenty on sale but the name has changed, as apparently people might think it had cream in it (!) Now called soft-set or similar.

Your best bet would be to see if you could beg, steal or borrow from a local beek in your area.

Failing that if you are lucky you might get a batch that sets with a fine crystal, or if you mash up set honey you can get the crystals smaller.

The English set honey in supermarkets from Littleover, Wilkins etc is all soft set as a last resort.

You don't need a seed honey. Search for 'easy processing of oil seed rape honey' and click on the 2nd link. Graham Law runs the website.
I've produced creamed honey this way and have never bothered with seeding. Seems much simpler to me but most people seem to want to persist with the dyce method.

Last edited:
I think I 'accidently' arrrived at the same result earlier this year. My first batch of OSR honey I had creamed using the seeding method, using some of my own previously creamed honey. I checked the second batch of OSR honey and it hadn't quite set so I just got the food mixer into it, beat it for a few minutes, and ended up with the best creamed honey I have produced.

If it is OSR honey you don't need to seed it.
Some say you must others say no need, typical answer for beekeeping lol.
I didn't seed any of my OSR honey and it is fine.

when left to crystalize on it's own, I found that it set very hard, and crystals were comparitively large, so maybe there was too much that was not OSR in it - but that was my reason for trying a seeding method initially to make a softer honey

i thought i would have a go at making some creamed honey this year but i can not find any in the shops around me does any one know or recommend ware i could get some creamed honey for me to use as the seed crystals i can only find one on the internet that was on the Amazon site.

If your honey has a good bit of rape in it, you can just 'cream' it by stirring it without the need for seed honey.

If your honey has a good bit of rape in it, you can just 'cream' it by stirring it without the need for seed honey.

I did and it hasn't set again yet.
Warmed it stirred it with a paint stirrer in a drill 3 times and jarred it some is still in the bucket and it has no signs of setting.
I presume it is mostly OSR as the bees were in the middle of 200 acres of it .

I did and it hasn't set again yet.
Warmed it stirred it with a paint stirrer in a drill 3 times and jarred it some is still in the bucket and it has no signs of setting.
I presume it is mostly OSR as the bees were in the middle of 200 acres of it .

I did some rape last year and it was still quite loose (though crystallising) eight months later.

no i don,t think it has any OSR in it as it is still liquid

Where are you in Essex? Just ask someone in your division for a few pounds of rape to seed it.

I let my OSR go rock hard in a bucket , then heat it until its soft , not runny then stir & you get a lovely light soft set honey

Snoop : I'm glad you referred to it as "soft set"honey. Don't like the term "Creamed honey" as it might conjure up the idea in the mind of the purchaser that it might be expected to flow and contains a dairy product.

looks like i have been watching too many American youtube videos on (creamed honey) sorry i mean soft set honey
Thanks every one for your comments and suggestions

Latest posts

Back