Creamed honey that went solid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolW

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I'm quite successful in making my OSR honey creamy by adding 10% set-but-warmish honey to a bucket of warmed OSR honey that's all but lost its granulation. Hoever my last batch, after jarring it, soon set again, not quite as solid as its original state, but certainly not creamy. I think I'd added too much set honey. What can I do without having to start all over again? - I've heard something about heating it to 60 degrees but for how long and would that heat the entire jar even in the middle?

I'm quite successful in making my OSR honey creamy by adding 10% set-but-warmish honey to a bucket of warmed OSR honey that's all but lost its granulation. Hoever my last batch, after jarring it, soon set again, not quite as solid as its original state, but certainly not creamy. I think I'd added too much set honey. What can I do without having to start all over again? - I've heard something about heating it to 60 degrees but for how long and would that heat the entire jar even in the middle?
Heat it through untill its completely liquid this link says 66c have a look. Important temperatures in beekeeping | Sheffield Beekeepers' Association

40 degrees Ok if all melted... once seeded SOFT SET is best produced by cooling bottled honey to 14 degrees C and holding it there till set.

Some will disagree, but shirley creamed honey is runny honey beaten into submission in a honey creaming machine... not the same?

You need to get your osr honey to a liquid first then let it cool then add 10% of your seed honey, a soft set you like the texture of, stir it in well, stir every day for at least a week. I then leave it at least another week before jarring.

Sell it as set..........like yourself my last batch didn’t quite turn out as planed, probably due to cold temperatures and it setting too quickly. Not ‘chisel out’ texture but it was a ‘gouge out’ rather than ‘scoop out’. I eat quite a bit of Honey and thoroughly enjoy so am a harsh critic of my own stocks. What it lacked in texture it made up for in flavour. I’m thinking people who buy set/soft set/creamed accept the fact some are more set than others..........I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it but you must try harder next time ;)

I'm quite successful in making my OSR honey creamy by adding 10% set-but-warmish honey to a bucket of warmed OSR honey that's all but lost its granulation.
The " all but lost its granulation" is where you went wrong. Those remaining granules acted as the seed, as well as the seed you added. The osr honey must be totally liquid before seed is added

Sell it as set..........like yourself my last batch didn’t quite turn out as planed, probably due to cold temperatures and it setting too quickly. Not ‘chisel out’ texture but it was a ‘gouge out’ rather than ‘scoop out’. I eat quite a bit of Honey and thoroughly enjoy so am a harsh critic of my own stocks. What it lacked in texture it made up for in flavour. I’m thinking people who buy set/soft set/creamed accept the fact some are more set than others..........I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it but you must try harder next time ;)
I agree. After I'd moved it into a warmish room out of the cold cupboard it was scoopy not gougey. So I've started a second batch now which is late summer and will be nice and runny, so my loyal customers can choose.

The " all but lost its granulation" is where you went wrong. Those remaining granules acted as the seed, as well as the seed you added. The osr honey must be totally liquid before seed is added
Yes you're right I think, it's the only difference I can think of compared to all the other times. Thank you.

You need to get your osr honey to a liquid first then let it cool then add 10% of your seed honey, a soft set you like the texture of, stir it in well, stir every day for at least a week. I then leave it at least another week before jarring.
Thanks for the reply. I added the 10% as usual but the rest hadn't properly liquified, it was still a bit sludgy at the bottom and that's where I went wrong I think. Incidentally, I stir the whole lot for 6 minutes+ with a big Thornes stirrer in my drill and jar it up asap. Then overnight to settle,lids on and into cold cupboard. No problems up till now.

Latest posts

Back