Crazy weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often wondered what eye operations are like, I suppose you can see some of what they do?

Is the new lens fixed focus?

you can see the overhead light which is intense to begin with, but once they start it's just three faint light spots. You know when the new lens goes in - for a second or two you can see the veins at the back of the eye, then a lot of swirling as he adjusts the lens.
The lens is fixed focus so I opted for good distance vision at the expense of needing reading glasses.

I had a fragment of metal embedded into my lower eyelid that was scratching my eyeball. It had to be surgically removed.

My head was strapped into a piece of torture equipment and I remained awake during the operation.
Two injections under the eye, and two in the eyeball itself. as you are watching the needle come into the eye, the fear was tremendous, but totally unwarranted. I barely felt a thing.

the knife, the swabbing of the blood when covering the eye and the stiches were weird, but also painless.

Thicgs have moved on a bit since the middle ages :D anaesthetic is just a series of eye drops over an hour with the final strong one going in just before the op - no clamping of the head or anything - just the eyeball which you don't really feel.

Last edited:
<snip>
Thicgs have moved on a bit since the middle ages :D anaesthetic is just a series of eye drops over an hour with the final strong one going in just before the op - no clamping of the head or anything - just the eyeball which you don't really feel.

Delighted that things have gone well.

You're absolutely right that things have moved on. Ophthalmology is certainly a fascinating subject.

you can see the overhead light which is intense to begin with, but once they start it's just three faint light spots. You know when the new lens goes in - for a second or two you can see the veins at the back of the eye, then a lot of swirling as he adjusts the lens.
The lens is fixed focus so I opted for good distance vision at the expense of needing reading glasses.

Thanks, it sounds quite weird. Clever stuff though.

Do you know when you'll be having the other one done?

Thanks, it sounds quite weird. Clever stuff though.

Do you know when you'll be having the other one done?

due to the massive difference the op was forecast as making (that's how bad my sight had gone) the surgeon was of the opinion I'd be seriously unbalanced (that's no news is it!?) with only one good eye so he's put the second op as high priority - back to clinic in 4-6 weeks then the second op as soon as practicable after that.

Wow, that's quick. Good news for you too.

You've said you'll need reading glasses, will you need them for brood inspections as well?

14.5 degrees last night, just announced on the box. Warmest Dec night since ... wait for it ... 1994 when it was 13.5.
Not so strange then.

Wow my Op does seem to have spurred a wide range of topics. I guess I'd better add to the mix. We are about to cast off from Kent to East Devon to 'build the dream'. Having gone down from 12 to 3 hives ahead of the big move, I'd hoped they would be all tucked up and ready to move (I did intend to move them a short distance - just over 1 mile) so they are ready to go in the van at short notice, but they are flying so much I suspect quite a few will find their way back to the apiary. So on the one hand I would welcome a cold snap to reduce their activity, and on the other I'd like it to be mild for the move, especially as we look like spending at least 9 months in a static caravan! All those with experience please chip in.....and Merry Christmas to you all.

All those with experience please chip in
I know you probably mean the bees but I mean building the dream
That will be our next move(already looking for a plot to hold onto till we are ready) when we get too old for our huge garden and looking after the fields/apiary.
Start a new thread when you move and let us know how you get on

You've said you'll need reading glasses, will you need them for brood inspections as well?

No idea - I suppose I'll find out at my first inspection, it's a bit awkward to judge at the moment as the remaining bad eye is throwing everything out.

I did actually mean the house build rather than the bees, but yes, I'll start a new thread when the work starts in April. Good luck with yours EB. Its a stressful time but a rare and fulfilling opportunity so grab it and hang on!

I did actually mean the house build rather than the bees, but yes, I'll start a new thread when the work starts in April. Good luck with yours EB. Its a stressful time but a rare and fulfilling opportunity so grab it and hang on!

Hope it is a self build!

DREKKLY..... in most of the South West...means some time in the future, when the phase of the moon is in the correct quarter and the month does not have an R in it.

and to the OP... JBM's seems to have gone to plan... and the weather here is awful!

Yeghes da

The locals say its a bit of a foraging green desert down where I'm going. It will be interesting to see how the harvest goes after being used to a coastal urban foraging landscape.

The locals say its a bit of a foraging green desert down where I'm going. It will be interesting to see how the harvest goes after being used to a coastal urban foraging landscape.

May be worth buying in some of the local Honiton Tiger Hybrids... adapted to wringing nectar out of the local flora!... stripey with a low growl when they fly.. I am told!!:icon_204-2:

Mytten da

Latest posts

Back