Crazy Bulls new honey shed thread!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I plan to use this thread to show a time line in photo's of my new honey 'sheds' getting set up and installed. Today was a trip to Mansfield to pick and pay for the units and then got them dropped off this afternoon.

I will try and keep a photo diary as i repair and convert into the finished honey shed.

Loading up!

DSC03900.jpg

Unloading!

DSC03904.jpg

In Place.

DSC03905.jpg

Inside!

DSC03857.jpg

More will follow as and when i get more work done!

C B

Thats fantastic and a reasonable price too.

All I need now is the space.

Another thing on my wish list :)

Are they 20 or forty ft?

I was quoted ex shipping 40's at £1400 some years ago so am curious.

PH

Are they 20 or forty ft?

I was quoted ex shipping 40's at £1400 some years ago so am curious.

PH

21ft ex hire site offices, you will pay nearly the same money for a 40' as a 20' one is in good nick, (one on right) the other is a bit rough so will just be used as a store.

'One trippers' ie single use 20' or 40' plain containers are between £1400 and £2000 depending on who you talk to, second hand plain containers are between £600 and £1200 depending on condition. I was just lucky to find some ex hire that needed to be moved from a site.

Last edited:
Its getting late it reminds me of something sort the decor out and I will be happy to move in

CB, watching with interest as I am about to convert 2 small stables for honey processing too, are you planning on doing layout drawings?

I wish . . .

Good luck with your project, and looking forward to following your words and pictures . . . Enviously of course. :)

But what size frames do you use in one of those, Crazy Bull? And more importantly, where will you get an extractor?

CB, watching with interest as I am about to convert 2 small stables for honey processing too, are you planning on doing layout drawings?

Never been one for drawing plans i'm afraid, all my plans are in my head and change as they go along and will probably change once agin once i actually start to use it.

C B

An afternoon armed with wire brush and scrapper, then a rinse and a going over the rust spots with a generous helping of red oxide primer (all that is red isn't rust most were spots less than 1cm across with the odd scratch and larger rusty bit)

DSC03906.jpg

Need to rope in some help i think make the job alot quicker!

C B

But what size frames do you use in one of those, Crazy Bull? And more importantly, where will you get an extractor?

Frame size and extractor size is the least of my worries you should see the size of the bees i've got to fill them! haha you'll need a suit of armour to protect yourself!

Frame size and extractor size is the least of my worries you should see the size of the bees i've got to fill them! haha you'll need a suit of armour to protect yourself!
Extractor? least of your worries ! keeping the temperatures within a metal box stable seems to me to be the biggest challenge??

John Wilkinson

CB have you ever tried Vactan? I love the stuff and recommend it.

Extractor? least of your worries ! keeping the temperatures within a metal box stable seems to me to be the biggest challenge??

John Wilkinson

Lined and insulated already, i will be fixing a few roof beams to put a second roof over the two units with a air gap of 6" or 7" to prevent over heating, will probably use cement fibre sheets as they tend not to heat up as much as plain tin.

C B

My honey house, wooden , is stained a dark colour and the temperature fluctuations have to be seen to be believed . Painting the whole exterior white would help enormously :)

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back