Covid-19

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, we have been trying to avoid the supermarkets where possible, always have avoided Tesco and use Lidl if needs be, as SWMBO says, so many idiots still milling around it's a breeding ground for contagion.
I think, with both of us coming from families living on the sides of a mountain (strangely enough, SWMBO's newly wed grandparents moved into the holding where my grandparents started their married life before moving slightly nearer to the valley floor) we've had it ingrained into us to always have a little stash of food for when the weather shuts down so, rather than panic buying we've been avoiding the big shops and just doing the usual calls to local shops for fresh stuff and bread and dipping into our tinned stores when the fresh stuff gets scarce.

Usually shop at local butchers and grow a lot of our own veg (still have carrots, spuds onions from last year and broccoli and leeks still growing. Go to Lidl in Aber but that's half an hour away. Lampeter is only ten minutes.

Usually shop at local butchers and grow a lot of our own veg (still have carrots, spuds onions from last year and broccoli and leeks still growing. Go to Lidl in Aber but that's half an hour away. Lampeter is only ten minutes.

We're lucky to have old King Cabbage (a proper londoner barrow boy type) who set up shop in the old village ambulance station years ago so fresh veg is not too much of a problem, Martin the butcher in Amanford has been buying honey from me for years (my first retailer actually) so never an issue getting meat and due to all this mullarkey has started up his home delivery service again. and Amjid who runs our local chain of covenience stores has been exemplary in his community service through all of this.

Nice to know, in these times of isolation and social distancing, that the people who moved in next door are a couple of mindless freaks.
A car turned up on Thursday and three people piled out, complete with luggage. From the cards dotted around the window sill I guess it's a birthday party. They are still there now and this pair of dime bars have a baby!!!!!

Nice to know, in these times of isolation and social distancing, that the people who moved in next door are a couple of mindless freaks.
A car turned up on Thursday and three people piled out, complete with luggage. From the cards dotted around the window sill I guess it's a birthday party. They are still there now and this pair of dime bars have a baby!!!!!

There are muppets everywherre ...On my way to my allotment yesterday I passed a group of young blokes who appeared to be replacing an existing fence alongside a houise .. I rather doubt that they all lived in the same house and judging by the vehicles parked next to it may have been contractors. I wonder at whether this was really essential work and the stupidity of some people. It's irresponsible on a personal level and the risk to others is just thoughtless.

There are muppets everywherre ...On my way to my allotment yesterday I passed a group of young blokes who appeared to be replacing an existing fence alongside a houise .. I rather doubt that they all lived in the same house and judging by the vehicles parked next to it may have been contractors. I wonder at whether this was really essential work and the stupidity of some people. It's irresponsible on a personal level and the risk to others is just thoughtless.

Yes...
I expect their behavior was o-fence-ive !

If all of the grass disappeared from your front garden ... would you look forlorn?

Chons da

Over here we have below 2000 infected and 48 deceased persons. In my county were only 3 infected and all recovered. In January our county was under stroke of one severe flu which now more people suspect that it was that virus then... First got it our son in school ( at one moment in his class of 17 pupils were only 4), then one by one we all got it.. It took me some 10 days to come to self.. First some 5 days temperature never got all down.. We were like beaten, also we had no taste and smell ( we were forcing ourselves to eat), which returned when we recovered.. I never had more severe flu like this.. If it was only flu it might help us to be more resilient to this new virus - maybe antibodies against flu in some way help us against this virus? But if it was that virus then, than it is reason why we have low infection rate..

. First some 5 days temperature never got all down.. We were like beaten, also we had no taste and smell ( we were forcing ourselves to eat), which returned when we recovered.. I never had more severe flu like this.. If it was only flu it might help us to be more resilient to this new virus - maybe antibodies against flu in some way help us against this virus? But if it was that virus then, than it is reason why we have low infection rate..

Sounds very much like Covid 19 to me - you had all the classic symptoms. Hope you feel better soon Goran.

Sounds very much like Covid 19 to me - you had all the classic symptoms. Hope you feel better soon Goran.

It was in January. Now when seeing that we have now low infections it makes You think about.. It was nastiest flu we ever had..

I'm convinced we had a round of it Christmas time - SWMBO was seriously ill for a fortnight, no appetite, no sense of smell or taste, coughing, fever etc.etc. all the classic covid symptoms, one of the people I mentor is a retired teaching doctor, she had the same and is convinced she and SWMBO had it.

That's why we're desparate for an antibody test because if you did have Covid-19 and now have immunity and are representative of the wider population the lockdown could be eased.

That's why we're desparate for an antibody test because if you did have Covid-19 and now have immunity and are representative of the wider population the lockdown could be eased.

But that is the big question isn't it - does previous infection lead to immunity. The WHO seems to think there is no evidence yet. And I also wonder, without any clue about it, if previous infection does not lead to immunity, what if any is the implication for a vaccine?

There is as much miss information as disinformation out there. Patients cannot recover from Covid-19 without developing immunity. What the WHO have actually said is no one has yet done the testing to prove longevity of immunity once developed. The Covid-19 virus appears relative stable compared to other coronaviruses so there is good reason to be optimistic that a vaccine will provide good cover if one can be safely developed.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAPegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3UxLpwP8LjVFbyWb963dqQ

Covid-19 is nasty because of the way it both exhausts T-cells and also seems to cause an 'allergic' response once antibodies have formed (leading to hypersensitivity pneumonitis - allergic pneumonia). Sadly, older people tend to have weaker T-cell populations which makes them more vulnerable and quite a bit of work has been done which shows Functional T-cell exhaustion in older Covid-19 patients.

The concern with creating a vaccine is that the antibodies formed might precipitate allergic reactions on subsequent Covid-19 exposure including pneumonitis as a side effect which is why extensive testing is required.

It's really important not to lose hope. There are a host of positive developments and if a vaccine isn't found I'm convinced they'll find other effective treatments. The new CPAP devices have drastically improved recovery and reduced the reliance on ventilators and an absolute tsunami of clinical trialling is under way to find suitable meds to help treat Covid-19. Testing is accelerating and I was really impressed at how slick it has become. I spiked a fever late Tuesday night which meant my better half who works ward level in the NHS had to self isolate which is an absolute bummer because she looks after spinal injuries patients many of whom are ventliated and massively vulnerable. By Saturday I got the all clear and my wife is able to go back to work.

Latest posts

Back