Cover sheet on P****s Nationals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Panick, panick, panick. Just seen itma's comment on another thread. I did take advise on this (not from this forum) and have not put the plastic crown board cover sheet on because of condensation. So, if I don't I will not get the lid off in spring as the bees will have propolised it?:hairpull:

use it. otherwise roof will get stuck down.
don't open the hive in cold weather.
if really worried do what i did and add extra insulation on top.

I never use the perspex crown boards to stop the roof getting stuck down just rub a little vasiline round the edge a tiny bit will last ages. as the poly hives they do not need any extra insulation. ( If there ****** poly hives)

use it. otherwise roof will get stuck down.
don't open the hive in cold weather.
if really worried do what i did and add extra insulation on top.

Hi drstitson,
Mucho gracias for quick reply. Will do that this afternoon + topping up empty compartment in my TBH with wood chippings which I am currently using as a semi with a view to unite in spring to maximise early flow lol.

I never use the perspex crown boards to stop the roof getting stuck down just rub a little vasiline round the edge a tiny bit will last ages. as the poly hives they do not need any extra insulation. ( If there ****** poly hives)

Hi,
Thanks to you to. Do you use them at all though? If not why not?

Hi beeno,

Not that I have ever opened up to look for condensation, but because of the nature of the plastic CB and construction of P's poly's I would have thought it would not be a problem anyway. My CB's in my polys are always well propolised.
You might like to update your profile as it says you have no hives

Hi again,
Lovely pic Dr. S and a strong looking nuc if I may so. A bit of a double edged sword this one as much in beekeeping. Will still go for it though with the vaseline for double protection. My bees seem to propolise a lot this year so I can't take the risk with the roof not coming off in the spring! Good point drex and I will update my profile.

Hi,
Thanks to you to. Do you use them at all though? If not why not?

I bought some of the first Pxxns nucs which didnt come with a crown board. I did try using some plastic on a couple but found it wasnt really necessary but my bees tend not to propolise too much and it may be different with yours.
I and the bees seem to too, like the Nucs, nice, light and warm.
S

Latest posts

Back