Covapaste.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tindog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been making enquiries with my local bakers about fondant. They tell me that they don't do fondant but do something called Covapaste which has a feint smell of vanilla. Has anyone come across this? Is it safe for bees?
Thanks in anticipation
Andy

Is it safe for bees?

Possibly, but I wouldn't use it, better using just plain white fondant containing, water/sugar/glucose.

Covapaste.
ingredients: sugar, vegetable oil, glucose syrup, humectants E420 & E422, water, stabilisers E413 & E415, flavouring (vanilla), colour E171, emulsifier E472c, acidity regulators E270 & E325, preservative E202

I've been making enquiries with my local bakers about fondant. They tell me that they don't do fondant but do something called Covapaste which has a feint smell of vanilla. Has anyone come across this? Is it safe for bees?
Thanks in anticipation
Andy

Make your own. Syrup and icing sugar. Mix till right consistency

Maisies are doing Dulcofruct at £1.20 a kg at the moment. Last bakers' fondant I bought was £15 for 12.5 kg, so the same price. The Dulcofruct comes in wrapped, 1 cm thick, 1 kg slabs, so much easier to store and handle.

Ask ITLD? ;)

Is it a trade secret!? :D
I'm always interested in other people's recipes if you'd care to share.

When we've needed to put it on, we've made a harder candy, bit like Kendal mint cake without the mint!
Seems to go down well with our bees.

Is it a trade secret!? :D
I'm always interested in other people's recipes if you'd care to share.

When we've needed to put it on, we've made a harder candy, bit like Kendal mint cake without the mint!
Seems to go down well with our bees.

No no secret. I'm sure ITLD's bees got golden syrup as a winter feed one year when he was offered it ridiculously cheaply. I was alluding to that.

yep....here it is
https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=281412&postcount=2

What I meant was that you could make "fondant" by mixing icing sugar with sugar syrup if you needed it in a hurry.....and no heating

At least you will be able to tell if you fed too much. your spring crop will taste of vanilla :)

Latest posts

Back