Course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I haven't posted for a while with not having any bees and being really busy with the new business but I started my practical beekeeping course last night. I really loved it and wasn't in the least bit intimidated by the bees. They were really placid ones.

Now I really want a hive of my own!:hurray: But unfortunately I've missed the boat I think:cuss:

I don't think you've missed enough of the year to be a problem, yet.

If you get a hive in the next few weeks, and source a nuc from someone, the colony should have enough time to build up before Winter.

Whether you SHOULD jump in after one lesson is another question, but I don't think there would be a problem (apart from having to spend dosh) in terms of starting now.

HTH

FG

I really loved it and wasn't in the least bit intimidated by the bees. They were really placid ones.

not trying to discourage you, but my thoughts would be to get a few more sessions under your belt, and try and hook up with a mentor or at the very least, try and arrange to go through a colony of some not "really placid ones" just so you get a fuller picture of how bees can behave.....

I agree it's not too late to start at this time of year with a nuc, but you would be better off having a wee bit more "hands on", so you can deal with what your bees are telling you when you open them up.

my first year sounds similar to how you are sounding, went to a talk / slide show at an association open day, half hour later elbows deep in a hive, two weeks later first nuc.....

then I realised I had to learn an awful lot, VERY fast!!

Where is your course? is it with John, at Rockland, or Ian and Paul at Easton?
You've got my phone number, get in touch, rgds, Tony

Ian and Paul at easton. Nice college. Nice little apiary. Just about every sort of hive there. No beehaus though. I don't think they like them hehe

Just my thoughts, but I reckon the back end of the season is the idea time to start beekeeping.

I got my first two hives in the middle/end of a July and it means you can get used to having them, inspecting them, going through the frames etc followed by the 'putting them to bed for the winter' routine without all the pressure of a full on swarming season.

Then when spring comes and everything really kicks off properly you are already confident being around your bees, smoking them, handling the frames and being familiar with what you are looking at etc which makes it easier to take on board all the new stuff - judging the performance of the queen, queen cells, honey supers, artificial swarms and all that jazz.

This is only my experience, but for me it was the perfect way to start.

Theory theory theory!

In my opinion you cant beat hands on learning, i find i learn much faster and the info sticks by doing rather than talking!

cause it backs up what you have learnt in the field, also if you dont have someone experienced with you all the time, its good to ask why is this or that happening.

Dont you agree? :dupe:

I agree, but a lot of research and prior reading should be the norm, not everything left 'til last minute

Oh yes for sure, it is not a case of "right, today we start beekeeping"
But on the same token, i dont think years of study before looking at live bees is healthy either.

Get an overview of what is involved, then get out there with someone who has bees and see if you like it. Some people will change thier minds when its time to rock and roll.

Latest posts

Back