Courgette for tea... for a month

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troedyrhiw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Someone said this year was great for courgettes...

... At 4.4Kg it looks like I know what's for tea for september :)

Store them, they can go into chicken pasta mixes and spag bol. mixes.
SWMBO produces superb meals with old marrows etc.
Don't throw them away, if they are dry store them for later RON.

Tim.

Last edited:
Got one in the oven stuffed with home grown lamb mince, onions and herbs... smells great! It's a pity it's my first year as a beekeeper as I don't have any 'nice' honey to glaze it with. Still they'll be some left for next year. LOL

Got one in the oven stuffed with home grown lamb mince, onions and herbs... smells great! It's a pity it's my first year as a beekeeper as I don't have any 'nice' honey to glaze it with. Still they'll be some left for next year. LOL

I've had a glut of courgettes ... I grew yellow/golden variety this year ... nicer flavour than the green ones, just as prolific but they are a bit firmer when cooked as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COURGETTE...arden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item5aeeb91192

I've found two good recipies that work ... you can miss out the poncy ingredients if you don't have them ... still work well - worth a try and you will use up a few more of the bloody things !!

http://www.delicieux.eu/?p=69

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/courgette-polpette-recipe

Enjoy ...

These are supposed to be eight ball courgettes, about size of cricket balls...these decided to get ambitious whilst I was on holiday and get to football size..., at least my ducks like courgette.

SWMBO made a chocolate courgette cake Monday - went nicely with the ratatouille main (with a nice bit os steak - none of that vegetarian nonsense here!) then finished off with cheese and buiscits with a bit of courgette chutney on the side.
Did i mention that this month we'll be mostly eating courgettes!

A pleasant change from endless runner beans ?

Don't talk about runners ... I decided this year to grow White Lady, Scarlet Emperor (both runners) Cobra and Blue Lake (Climbing french beans) ... My bean growing season, as a result, has been all summer and is STILL going on ....

Seemed like a good idea at the time ... now looking for recipes that include both beans and courgettes that freeze well !!

Just as well the hens seem to like them both ... even the people at work are refusing free handouts of beans and courgettes !!

I think I must eat a pound of runners a week at the moment, steamed and served with plenty of properly salted Welsh butter and a bit of black pepper is my favourite recipe, fried with piles of garlic is how we're getting through the courgette mountain.

I think I must eat a pound of runners a week at the moment, steamed and served with plenty of properly salted Welsh butter and a bit of black pepper is my favourite recipe, fried with piles of garlic is how we're getting through the courgette mountain.

A big chest freezer is how I'm getting through my runners at present ... I'm not sure I can actually eat any more for a few weeks ...

Sadly, the courgettes don't seem to freeze as well so .. even frying them with a bit of bacon for the odd (VERY ODD !) breakfast !!

Courgette fritters, courgette cake, courgette soup are ongoing meal themes in our house at the moment!
I tend to give courgette cake (made with walnuts and dried fruit) to various visitors which is a bit of a novelty for them, but not for us!

I have frozen successfully but you do have to cut them up and blanche them. Or make soup and freeze that?

Someone said this year was great for courgettes...

... At 4.4Kg it looks like I know what's for tea for september :)

Is that all? Get some chutney made. There's a River Cottage one called glutney, that, well, uses whatever you have a glut of.

A pleasant change from endless runner beans ?

I think I must eat a pound of runners a week
Bad year for them with you this year then :D - for tea tonight i ate a pudding basin full with plenty of white pepper (black is for nancy boys and weirdos according to my grandmother) Welsh butter (not the insipid dairy based axle grease they eat on 'tother side of the dyke) and brown bread and butter - was pushed for time so I couldn't enjoy second helpings but I'll have a wholesome lunch Saturday - they do have a wonderful cleansing effect on the person (don't know why but the dogs have left the room :biggrinjester:)

Latest posts

Back