Country file / oil seed rape and Buck wheat .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The produce was shipped to London by rail... Beeching closed nearly all those lines, including the inland rail route to London via Tavistock
Now strawberries are mostly imported from Spain by the supermarkets..... flavourless!

You should try a propper Cornish pastie one day... and that not Ginsters!
I will need to give that comment som
A Wigan pie takes some beating .

I have - many a time - just a doughy pouch of bland veg and gristle, I've sometimes found the paper bag they came in held more epicurean delight 😁
What was worse was Ginsters garage fodder sausage rolls ... in my days on the road I used to forget how bad they were and everytime I succumbed I was disappointed .... their cornish pasties were only marginally better.

The Real Cornish Pasty company who used to have a shop at Waterloo station did a fairly good imitation of a cornish pasty though ... although they also did some bloody diabolical combinations outside of the standard ... Chillie, Apple and Chocolate comes to mind .... lord knows what moron would order one let alone eat it !

The Real Cornish Pasty company who used to have a shop at Waterloo station did a fairly good imitation of a cornish pasty though ... although they also did some bloody diabolical combinations outside of the standard ... Chillie, Apple and Chocolate comes to mind .... lord knows what moron would order one let alone eat it !
A clue is in the fact that they stayed open past pub closing time ;)

Neighbouring contractor had the job of spreading human waste made all his workers ill, supposed to be spread with lime at the same time to kill any nasties ( never is, saves money). Then ploughed in straight away.

My neighbours job was selling biosolids allegedly the main benefits to farmers was a cheep source of nitrogen and soil structure improvement. However the main concern is that the cop that requires land to be tested befor treatment is only to enshure the nasties dont exceed max levels ie they know they are putting nasties in the soil . Further the nèssasary testing of the product can be as little as every 5 years so potentially you could add a lot more nasty to a soil than expected. .... can defiantly smell the difference between human/ pig/ cow manger when it's being spread.

In Brittany, buckwheat flour is used to make savoury "crepes", which they call "galettes". They reserve the word "crepes" for sweet pancakes made with wheat flour. Traditional festivals based almost entirely on the mass production of galettes (and crepes for afters) by the local WI-equivalent are quite a thing - hundreds of people eating them at long lines of trestle tables. I once attended one of these and got my introduction to the "bombard" - a local prototype of the oboe that they seem to have hung on to. Imagine the Northumbrian pipes without the delicate melodies and subtle harmonies. :sneaky:

I don’t think it would be needed this season. What little OSR I’ve seen planted looks in fantastic order

I've seen some planted about 100yards from one of our apairys and it looks good.
Driving around the fields I've seen in Herefordshire, Worcestershire are all in good condition.. Is it not in the spring when there's problems with flee beatles?

I've seen some planted about 100yards from one of our apairys and it looks good.
Driving around the fields I've seen in Herefordshire, Worcestershire are all in good condition.. Is it not in the spring when there's problems with flee beatles?

Good question. I often think the local OSR looks good in autumn, only to be told by the local farmer the following year that the yield was so poor that he might not sow it again - but fortunately he always does....

It would seem that they are a pest throughout the growing period, but the OSR is most vulnerable in autumn, when the plants are emerging.

https://ahdb.org.uk/csfb

Good question. I often think the local OSR looks good in autumn, only to be told by the local farmer the following year that the yield was so poor that he might not sow it again - but fortunately he always does....
It would seem that they are a pest throughout the growing period, but the OSR is most vulnerable in autumn, when the plants are emerging.

https://ahdb.org.uk/csfb
Thanks for the link @gmonag .

Latest posts

Back