Country file / oil seed rape and Buck wheat .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A new slant on oil seed rape pest control , using interplanted Buckwheat and human waste sewage sludge ! Is being discussed!
Discuss.

I've just watched it and have my concerns about the sewage sludge getting into the water courses.

Did you see the bees on the buckwheat?
Good to see that there could be a possibility of two honey crops from the same field, this will please some of the migratory BFs.

Anything that reduces the reliance on big pesto !
Buckwheat honey should be popular with the confectionery trade as it’s quite strong tasting , meaning a little will go a long way

The field next to my bees was planted this year with a cover crop of buckwheat, phacelia and clover. The bees were all over the phacelia and the clover, but i never saw a bee on the buckwheat.

The field next to my bees was planted this year with a cover crop of buckwheat, phacelia and clover. The bees were all over the phacelia and the clover, but i never saw a bee on the buckwheat.
The Eastern European’s value it as a crop in its own right !
Why it’s called. Buckwheat escapes me as it isn’t a cereal .

Yes.. I watched it ...good news about the Buckwheat as a companion crop ... not sold on the idea of human waste sludge on the soil though. ... there's a lot of stuff goes through the human digestive system not to mention what gets pushed down the foul sewers that I'm not convinced it's a good thing.,

If we went back to my grandfather's day (he was a council midden emptier in the years after he came back from the 1914/18 war) there was only excrement and earth to dispose of ... and most of what went through was pretty natural as well ... I know that went onto the fields eventually.

Perhaps we should all be looking at composting toilets ?

Yes.. I watched it ...good news about the Buckwheat as a companion crop ... not sold on the idea of human waste sludge on the soil though. ... there's a lot of stuff goes through the human digestive system not to mention what gets pushed down the foul sewers that I'm not convinced it's a good thing.,

If we went back to my grandfather's day (he was a council midden emptier in the years after he came back from the 1914/18 war) there was only excrement and earth to dispose of ... and most of what went through was pretty natural as well ... I know that went onto the fields eventually.

Perhaps we should all be looking at composting toilets ?
It certainly stinks to high heaven .

The Eastern European’s value it as a crop in its own right !
Having read up on buckwheat honey, I was quite excited to discover there was to be acres of it next to my hives.
However as i said, i never saw one bee foraging on it. Maybe the bees had found something better elsewhere, or maybe it was the "wrong" variety.
It was all very disappointing.

Just google bee source buckwheat the Americans love it and it’s considered a major source.

I've just watched it and have my concerns about the sewage sludge getting into the water courses.

Did you see the bees on the buckwheat?
Good to see that there could be a possibility of two honey crops from the same field, this will please some of the migratory BFs.
Sludge is normally treated before use. Theoretically at least. Farm slurry is probably hotter, but even that has been digested for while before use.
Tomatoes grow really well on treated sewage 😃

Sludge is normally treated before use. Theoretically at least. Farm slurry is probably hotter, but even that has been digested for while before use.
Tomatoes grow really well on treated sewage 😃
I worked on the construction of M25 jct11-12 section, we had a wide central reservation at that time and the contractor ran short of topsoil to place there. In the end they put "Thames Grow" which is Thames Water's human slurry. We had a great crop of tomatoe plants that summer 😄

I worked on the construction of M25 jct11-12 section, we had a wide central reservation at that time and the contractor ran short of topsoil to place there. In the end they put "Thames Grow" which is Thames Water's human slurry. We had a great crop of tomatoe plants that summer 😄
Mind you, the death when toll picking them in the central reservation of the M25 must have been very high .... ? :)

Mind you, the death when toll picking them in the central reservation of the M25 must have been very high .... ? :)
Ah, they thought about that, they mowed them all down before they fruited and the M25 opened. I managed to remove quite a few plants to my garden tho. 😄

As a youth in the 1960s I sometimes drove tractor for the farm next door. We used to go to the local sewage works where the farmhands would use forks to dig out the accumulated sludge from the filter beds and throw it up on the trailer. Occasionally a prophylactic would stretch out between a forkful and the undug mass before snapping free usually creating ribald comment. When full the trailer was driven to a field where it was manually spread onto the stubble and ploughed in afterwards. Often tomato plants would start to grow but frost killed them off. The sludge was not used prior to potato crops as tomato shared problems with potato root eelworm.
After a while the stink went unnoticed. Being a rural area smells were expected by the established population. During spring and summer another farm grazed sheep on the grass around the plant.

Latest posts

Back