Counting Mites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
Having applied api-guard treatment & collecting drop, is there an easy way to separate the mites from all the debris ?

I wouldn't bother, life is too short. Make sure the tray is clean to begin with and check often, cleaning the tray each time. If you leave it for a couple of weeks there will be lots of debris. Also, unless you are doing research I do not think it is necessary to count the mites. I check to see if there has been a mite fall, which gives me confidence the treatment is working, that is all.

Apiquard treatment takes 3 weeks.
Roof top is right that you need not count mites. It helps nothing when your treatment is going.

I have treated mites 21 years and I have never counted mites. I just kill them.

Researcher have calculated thousands of hives when they have revieved the effect of different methods. That is enough to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. Some of the mites on the board have been alive, so, just to highlight to any other new bees such as me, board there more to stop the api-guard vapour falling out of the bottom of the hive (OMF) as opposed to allowing mite count, would this be right ?

Having applied api-guard treatment & collecting drop, is there an easy way to separate the mites from all the debris ?

Dry brush or wash using alcohol the debris off the board into a container with a wide neck containing some more alcohol (100ml is easily enough for a 5 day drop on a big colony). Wash off any debris that adheres to the brush into the container using more alcohol. Leave for a few minutes and the mites, and essentially only the mites, will be floating on the top. Count, then filter all but the bottom slurry through a paper coffee filter into a clean container for reuse on the next colony. If the count is low then you can directly reuse the solution without re-filtering.

I use isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) because I regularly use it for other purposes but methylated spirit/ethanol/cheap vodka would also work.

Yes vodka works well for counting mites,first drink the vodka,then when your pissed enough count the mites.More fun if you can get a group of your friends around,and a few extra bottles.

Last edited:
board there more to stop the api-guard vapour falling out of the bottom of the hive (OMF) as opposed to allowing mite count, would this be right ?

Correct. The hive should not have an 'open' open mesh floor while treating.

Regards, RAB

I have white fablon on bottom board- draw squares on it and then just count a couple of the squares and multiply - if you WANT to count.
It does give new bee keepers an idea of their hive health, and future quick assessments.
As they progress the need to count will be less as confidence grows

Yes vodka works well for counting mites,first drink the vodka,then when your pissed enough count the mites.More fun if you can get a group of your friends around,and a few extra bottles.

Remember to halve the number you come up with.

Apiquard treatment takes 3 weeks.

More like 4 - 6 weeks.

Roof top is right that you need not count mites. It helps nothing when your treatment is going.

I have treated mites 21 years and I have never counted mites. I just kill them.

Researcher have calculated thousands of hives when they have revieved the effect of different methods. That is enough to me.

I agree. No point in counting them, just get them out of there. You wouldn't do anything different during the treatment anyway.

I do estimate the natural mite drop outside treatment periods to see if things are getting out of hand.

Many thanks everyone, hope this is of use to others out there.

Back