Could You Have A See Through Hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a creature that likes the dark, i should imagine that would be a form of torture.

Must be just a display model.

For a creature that likes the dark, i should imagine that would be a form of torture.

Must be just a display model.

Hmm, I think it's a greenhouse. The answer is no, although it could potentially be used in significant shade. Where bees have a direct visibility of the sun, they switch the orientation of the waggle dance to sun aligned, rather than gravity aligned.

Adam

You need 1/3 sized bees that aren't afraid of the light

It is possible to build a hive from perspex, acrylic or similar and put bees in it, but as others have said already the colony wouldn't be too happy to start with because of daylight. As long as they were left covered most of the time and out of direct sunlight I'm sure the colony would over time adapt to their new home.

Here is a picture of a warre hive

http:// warre . biobees . com / gatineau.jpg (copy link and remove the spaces)

Plus you can find several sites showing how to make an observation hive which are either permanent hives in homes or sheds or just temporary hives for shows and local fares.

Last edited:
I agree it would be torture.

Plus the bees would react by propolising it as fast as possible to block out the light.

Observation hives normally have a cover for that very reason to "normally" have the bees in darkness, and if looking at them is wanted the cover is removed.

PH

Back